Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS: Cold weather starting the 2003 Chev

Cold weather starting the 2003...
Cold weather starting the 2003 Chev Monte Carlo. The front turn signals flash very fast, the clock on the radio does the same and there is a slight "clicking sound" coming from somewhere inside the car. When it warms up this seems to go away. Two other problems with this car is the low volts light will come on and the gauges drop, and I get ABS light Trac light coming on....Low volts-gauges happen very infrequently but seems more so when it's cold...the ABS Trac happens randomly not necessarily when braking but the lights will come on then go off sometimes for a day or so....codes i just pulled from car are P1571 and U1040.....I was thinking of pulling the instrument cluster and having it tested/fixed and now am thinking the ECBM which is a delphi should be removed and sent in also......kind of a mess but I don't know if these are three seperate problems or if one causes the other
3/25/2013
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

BOBBYSS :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me if all of these happen around the same time? Do you ever have trouble starting the vehicle?

Customer:

no vehicle has no starting problems

Customer:

and yes all symptoms seem to happen pretty much at the same time

Customer:

I'm no mechanic but this just seems to scream a grounding problem to me.....but then again I'm no mechanic

BOBBYSS :

Thank you. Most of the time this is either going to be a ground issue with the body control module or the module itself is failing. It is common on this vehicle. It may also be a problem within the ignition switch, but that is not as common. I would start by checking the grounds and then doing a voltage drop test on the ignition switch. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer:

the monte carlo has a new ignition switch also just replaced in the last 60 days

Customer:

I'd like to try if you can point me to the areas that i need to look and what tests i need to do

BOBBYSS :

You need to check ground 201 and 203. They are shown in the pictures below. Let me know what you find. If you can locate the clicking noise as to the body control module then it may be the module.

BOBBYSS :

Full Size Image

BOBBYSS :

Full Size Image

BOBBYSS :

The BCM is located under the drivers side of the dash.

Customer:

ok I'll check....do I need to remove the plastic below the steering column to get up under the dash

Customer:

Hey I found both grounds...they were a lot closer together than I was figuring....they both look secure, no busted or cracked wires

Customer:

I had planned on having the instrument cluster tested/fixed. Something I'd never realized is there was always this scraping sound kind of at startup and I guess I always thought it was something to do with the hvac doors opening or closing. Turns out it's the small gauges on the left side of the cluster. This isn't normal is it?? I guess my point in all of this is I'm kind of waiting to hear if the BCM could be causing the low volt lights and gauges fluctuating or if that's seperate from the BCM...

ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician

Hi, glad to be of help. I have a differing opinion.

From the codes you listed, you most likely have a bad EBTCM.

Many people have had EBTCM issues, and they tend to go bad on these cars.

Probe the 3 wires going to the flasher module, check for shorts to ground, shorts to voltage, grounds, opens, AND reference voltage. Check for corrosion at all terminal pin connections on EBTCM.

Check for corrosion on the Maxi-fuse terminals that may be causing a high resistance and verify there is 12 volts on both sides of the fuses.

The EBTCM circuit ties into the turn signals. Check or replace turn signal bulbs. The turn signal sockets are also known for going bad, so visually inspect the contacts on your turn signal socket to make sure there are no burn marks or melted
plastic in the housing. Flick the blinker on with the turn signal stalk and use a voltmeter to see what type of voltage you are getting at the bulb socket contacts. If all connections and reference voltages are good, replace EBTCM.

See: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15894

http://student.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/Books/A5StudentWorkBooks126/SWB_a5_m10b_Final.pdf

P1571

Description

TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM DESIRED TORQUE CIRCUIT

Traction Control System (TCS) uses Anti-lock Brake System

(ABS) in conjunction with PCM fuel and ignition controls to
limit

drive wheel slippage during acceleration.

Symptoms

You likely won't notice any drivability problems.

Causes

Desired torque signal Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is less

than 5 percent or greater than 95 percent.

Solutions

Check for faulty connection at EBTCM. (Electronic Brake and

Traction Control Module)

Replace EBTCM.

U1040 shows that
communications has been lost with the electronic brake control module.

graphic

This relay inside the EBCTM is what usually goes bad.

graphic

So can I remove the EBCTM myself??

Does this need to be rebuilt or Can I just replace that relay??

Yes, it bolts to the BPMV. No you can't just replace that relay, it is an integral part of the EBTCM. Just make sure you get the correct module with traction control.

See:

Seeing that U1040 code with the P1571 tells me the EBTCM is your problem.

You can try tapping on it for a temporary fix but here is the replacement procedure:

Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement
Removal Procedure
Notice:To prevent equipment damage, never connect or disconnect the wiring harness connection from the EBCM with the ignition switch in the ON position.

View Full Image

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Remove the fuel injector sight shield, 3.8 L engine only.
  3. Remove the front fender upper diagonal brace.
  4. Disconnect the accelerator and cruise control cable from the accelerator control cable bracket.
  5. Disconnect the cruise control module from the left strut tower. It is not necessary to remove the cable from the module. Position the module and cables aside.
  6. Remove the air cleaner intake duct.
  7. Disengage the red locking tab (1) from connector lock tab.
  8. Push down lock tab and then move sliding connector cover (2) to the open position.
  9. Disconnect the EBCM harness connector.
  10. Remove any dirt/debris from the assembly.
View Full Image

1. Remove the four EBCM to BPMV retainers.

Important: Do not pry apart using a tool. Be careful not to damage BPMV surface.
Important: Care must be taken not to damage the solenoid valves when the EBCM is removed from the BPMV.

1. Separate the EBCM from the BPMV by gently pulling apart until separated.

Installation Procedure

View Full Image

1. Install the EBCM to the BPMV.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the four retainers that attach the EBCM to BPMV.
    • Tighten the retainers to 5 Nm (44 inch lbs.).
View Full Image

1. Connect the EBCM harness connector.
  2. Push down lock tab (1) and then move sliding connector cover (2) back in the home position to lock.
  3. Reengage the red locking tab (1) to the connected lock tab.
  4. Install the air cleaner intake duct.
  5. Reposition the module and cables. Connect the cruise control mdule to the left strut tower.
  6. Connect the accelerator and cruise control cable to the accelerator control cable bracket.
  7. Install the front fender upper diagonal brace.
  8. Install the fuel injector sight shield, 3.8 L engine only.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, do not start engine.
  10. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - ABS.

Before you replace any parts or conduct any testing, first check the wiring harness. The harness passes under the front of the transmission side cover. GM reports that harness chafing can occur in that area because the powertrain flexes on its mounts. Check the harness for any signs of chafing. Next, examine the area near the A/C dryer canister where the ABS harness splits. The harness can chafe right at the dryer canister bracket. If you find chafing, remove the harness and repair the damaged insulation with heat shrinkable tubing.

Last night I sent the instument cluster and the ebctm to the speedometerrepairguy.com to get rebuilt. Once I figured out the four bolts were torq head and not hex it all come apart relatively easy. Now when I get this all back together just turn the key to on and then what?? does the car do it's own diagnostic's or is there some other surprise around the corner??.....and I'll do a double check on the harness, I looked it over when I was looking around yesterday.

Check ALL the EBTCM fuses and the main ground wire on the module.

Until your confirm that the module has power and grounds there NO way you can say that the module isn't working.
DTC U1040 Loss of Communications with TCS, That means the module is MOST LIKELY not getting power or has a poor or NO Ground.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes). Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module.
If no codes are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display. You may need to program the EBTCM but I don't think so in your case. If any codes come up, clear all codes and check again.

Okay, so I told you I sent both the instrument cluster and the ecbm to get tested/fixed. The instrument cluster was rebuilt but he couldn't rebuild the ebcm. He did tell me he tested it and it has faults. I called around our local salvage yards and found one and it was actually delivered to me today. What I received was the whole assembly not just the module. My question is can I just take the module off this on and put it on the one on the car or should I change out the whole thing??

Yes, you can take the module off and just replace that part. It is up to you how much work you want to do.

Sounds good....I've got plenty to do without thinking I'm a mechanic....was just a little nervous because I keep hearing the reprograming word and was worried that the car would throw out a bunch of error codes

The programming should already be in there since it is not a new part. However you can never be sure with a junk yard part. You should be using a scanner anyway. I don't think you will run into any problems. Best of luck, this should solve your problem.
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Thank you for your excellent feedback & bonus. Thank you for using just answer.
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician