Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

We have a 2007 Chevy HHR LS, the "reduce engine power" light

Customer Question

We have a 2007 Chevy HHR LS, the "reduce engine power" light keeps popping up and the car keeps shutting down. My mechanic has done the following to no avail: 1)updated latest calibration software updates to ECM, 2)replaced pedal due to error code pedal sensor, 3)replaced throttle body, balance tensioners, gaskets, water pump and timing chain a few months back due to previous check engine lights and loss of power/acceleration. Any suggestions? Thank you for any info
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
hi
this may be a problem with the wireharness at the pcm[computer]

Condition

Some customers may comment that the check engine light is on and an engine reduced power message is displayed in the DIC.

A scan tool may reveal DTC P2135 set as current or in history.

Cause

This condition may be due to poor terminal crimps within the ECM connector, resulting in resistance at the affected circuits.

Correction

Perform the following as necessary.

1. Inspect the engine wiring harness for potential shorts to ground in the following locations and repair and reposition the circuits/harness as necessary:

^ on the ECM/PCM case and/or on the edge of either ECM/PCM connector body

^ at the UBEC bracket

^ at the cylinder head plate (power steering pump blockout)

^ at the EVAP purge valve bracket

^ at the rear of the cylinder head/upper edge of transmission bell housing

2. If after inspection of the engine wiring harness reveals no chafing in the areas identified above, follow SI procedures to recrimp the terminals shown above. These terminals are located in the ECM connectors. Use release tool J 38125-213 and J 38125-641 crimp tool (H jaw). Install each terminal back into the correct connector cavity and re-evaluate the concern. For additional information refer to the Engine Data Sensors - APP and TAC schematics and the Engine Control Module Connector End Views.

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP