Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chevy silverado pickup: 2005 Chevy 4.8 Vortec silverado 1500.

Customer Question

2005 Chevy 4.8 Vortec silverado 1500. i need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket on the drivers side.. what is the torque settings ? Do i need to disconnect the exhuast pipe from the manifold. any other tips ? Nic
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
hi
this should help you
thanks
2005 Chevy Truck Silverado 1500 2WD V8-4.8L VIN V
Exhaust Manifold Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left

Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left Side (4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L Engine)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove the exhaust manifold pipe nuts.
3. Lower the vehicle.
4. Remove the spark plugs

5. Remove the exhaust manifold bolts, manifold, and gasket.
6. Discard the gasket.

7. Remove the heat shield bolts (3), and shield (2) from the exhaust manifold (1), if necessary.
8. Clean and inspect the exhaust manifold.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the heat shield (2), and bolts (3) to the exhaust manifold (1), if necessary. Tighten the bolts to 9 Nm (80 lb in).

Important:
- Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts as specified in the service procedure. Improperly installed and/or leaking exhaust manifold gaskets may affect vehicle emissions and/or On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) II system performance.
- The cylinder head exhaust manifold bolt hole threads must be clean and free of debris or threadlocking material.

Important: Do not apply sealant to the first three threads of the bolt.

2. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) wide band of threadlock GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488), or equivalent to the threads of the exhaust manifold bolts.
3. Install the exhaust manifold, NEW gasket and bolts.
- Tighten the bolts a first pass to 15 Nm (11 lb ft). Tighten the bolts beginning with the center two bolts. Alternate from side-to-side, and work toward the outside bolts. Tighten the bolts a final pass to 25 Nm (18 lb ft).
- Tighten the bolts beginning with the center two bolts. Alternate from side-to-side, and work toward the outside bolts.
4. Using a flat-punch, bend over the exposed edge of the exhaust manifold gasket at the rear of the left cylinder head.
5. Install the spark plugs
6. Raise the vehicle.

7. Install the exhaust manifold pipe nuts. Tighten the nuts to 50 Nm (37 lb ft).
8. Lower the vehicle.

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP