Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Blazer 4x4 (Mid Size): 4wd on 2000 Chevy s10 quit

Customer Question
4wd on 2000 Chevy s10...
4wd on 2000 Chevy s10 quit working,,,any ideas....
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/6/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 5 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
hi
please explain..
what do you mean it quit?
will it not start?
tell me all you can about the problem,,,also tell me how and when it quit and all you have tried/checked
thanks
The check 4wd light came on and also it will not go into 4wd
so
you are saying,,that the 4wd is not working?
is this your problem?..sorry,but im not understanding the question
thanks
Yes, check 4wd light is on
AND 4wd is not working
ok
the common thing that will happen to the 4wd and cause the"check 4wd"light to come on..is the transferc ase actuator on the side of the transfer case....these will just get weak and not shift the case,,and it may need to be replaced
thanks
2000 Chevy Truck S10/T10 Blazer 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Transfer Case Actuator Parts and Labor
Parts Information OEM Part # Price
Transfer Case Actuator
33 - Encoder Motor
15636696 $487.53
Vacuum Switch
89059420 $46.12
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Replace Encoder Motor
136, 236, 246
B 0.7 0.9
NOTE
With Skid Plate, Add
B 0.2 0.4
233
B 0.4 0.5
NOTE
With Skid Plate, Add
B 0.2 0.3
Replace Vacuum Switch
B 0.6 0.7
NOTE
With Skid Plate, Add
B 0.1 0.2

Transfer Case Actuator Locations, Components: Transfer Case Encoder Motor
60_gc00stbdy_4-179.png
Locations View

RH of the ATC, below the rear transfer case speed sensor connector

00 Chevy Truck S10/T10 Blazer 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Transfer Case Actuator Service and Repair, Procedures: NVG 233-NP1 (Two Speed Selectable), Motor/Encoder Replacement

Removal Procedure
1. Remove the transfer case shields.

67_gc00stbdy_4-243c.png

2. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

97_gc00stbdy_4-209a.png

3. Remove three bolts securing the motor/encoder gasket and motor/encoder to the transfer case.
4. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

97_gc00stbdy_4-209a.png

1. Install three bolts securing the motor/encoder and the rubber gasket to the transfer case.
^ Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
^ Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case shift shaft.
^ Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

70_gc00stbdy_4-244c.png

2. Install the transfer case wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
3. Install the transfer case shield.

how do you know this is the problem? I would hate to spend the money and not be sure

ok
that is understandable..,,the encoder motor will be much cheaper than the price i gave you at you local parts store,,the price i gave is a dealer price..
the first thing to do here,is to check all fuses...
when sitching from 4wd to 2wd..you should hear the motor on the side of the transfer case hum and click into gear...you could do sometesting with a test light jut to make sure you are getting power to the motor when you shift.....it is common for this encoder to go bad/weak..i have even had bad new ones,right out of the box
i will give you a wiring diagram to help you with the test
thanks
Transfer Case Actuator Diagrams, Connector Views: Transfer Case-NVG 236 (Two Speed Automatic), Transfer Case Encoder Motor Connector C1
90_gc00stbdy_4-265b.png
Transfer Case Actuator Diagrams, Connector Views: Transfer Case-NVG 236 (Two Speed Automatic), Transfer Case Encoder Motor Connector C2
24_gc00stbdy_4-265c.png
graphic

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Sorry think I hit the rate button and didn't mean to do that for sure. We will check out the truck tonight and do that little test and get back to you. Thanks will let you know tonight
that will be fine
thanks
I did not get a chance to ask more questions or see the pictures you sent. The timed out image isn't a good idea when I said I couldn't look at the truck until later. I am not sitting at the computer all day. We need another way to do this response. It doesn't help if I can't see the image
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I was unable to open the files that were sent to me because they had a time limit. I told the machanic I could not work on the truck until later. Also, I keep hitting reply and it will not work now.
hi
i noticed you left a negative feedback"BAD SERVICE',,,,please explain,,
do you need more help...i need you to give a better rating.......tell me what you need..the "timed out" was out of my control...it may have been done by customer service..i will try to send the pictures in a different format,,this may help
thanks

I am unable to open the diagrams they timed out plus I had more questions.

Checked the vacuum and all is ok even replaced a hose that was a tiny bit worn.

If you hook up a vacuum directly to the acuator it will go into 4wd.

ok
does the motor on the side of the transfer case operate when you switch from 2wd to 4wd?
no
ok
the motor has to work to activate the vacuum switch on top of the transfer case to send the vacuum to the front vacuum actuator...
again..this seems to be a bad transfer case actuator/encoder
thanks

Again, I did NOT get the diagrams
ok
i have sent them 3 times....i will try a different format
lets try this

now that I can see them.....and what are they for??
you need to replace the transfer case motor,,this should fix your problem
thanks

I use this service all the time for my 99 Honday Accord. I don't get this "rate my service" with every response. I want a different machanic and if you ask me again for a rating I will report you to Ask.com You have no idea what you are doing
Chevy Mechanic: goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
hello, are you still needing help with this problem?

Yes, I used this service before for my 99 Honda Accord. This last machanic must think I just sit there waiting for his reply and don't have an actual job. Thank you for responding. I will get back to you as soon as we have a chance to check out a couple of the responses. This is NOT my top priority every day, every minute. The last guy was a pain in the butt. I loved my Honda "expert"

Sure no problem, just let me know. I will be on this evening.
Like I have said,,,we are not constantly working on this truck and have not had time to check out everything. We are waiting for a part to come in the mail. Quit sending emails until I get back to you, then you will know we are ready to respond.
Ok make a list of questions and I will tell you what we did and what the outcome was so far. If that works for you?
Ok, to be real honest, i have read the post, and I am a little confused and could see you where a little aggravated. so I am going to take the start from scratch approach if that is ok. Like I said, I am no hurry for your replies. we can work together at your pace and work load. i understand totally on work loads. I manage 75 to 90 vehicles a day and gets real frustrating. anyway enough garbage. I need to know a few basic things to start with. this vehicle has two different 4 wd systems. one is the NVG 233-NP1 (Two Speed Selectable) or a NVG 236 (Two Speed Automatic), if your not sure, just post me the vin number and I will pull the info
1GNDT!3W7Y2108380
ok, vin doesn't come up in the system .does this have the button with auto mode?
4 button system....all time 4wd, 2wd, 4h, 4L
?

sorry for delay, this system is pretty easy to pull codes, use this procedure and see if there is any codes stored in the system

DTC Displaying

1. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
2. Connect PIN 13 on the data link cable (DLC) to a ground. The DLC is located in the cab under the instrument panel on the driver's side.
3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
4. Observe the transfer case shift control switch select buttons for flashing codes.

Important: If the transfer case shift control switch buttons all blink only once and then stop, no fault codes are stored in the transfer case shift control module.

When one DTC is stored in memory, that code will blink that number of times followed by a 3 second pause and then repeat.
If more than one code is stored, the first code will blink, followed by a 3 second pause and then the second code will blink.
This sequence will continue until PIN 13 on the DLC is no longer grounded.

No codes came up.

Ok we are getting a clicking noise from the transfer case control module under the kick panel.

Ok,if you haven't already, remove transfer case control module behind kick panel. un plug module and look at the connectors real well. see if there is any green color residue on any of the connector terminals, and the module pins. let me know what you find?
yes we have done all this before....fyi There is a switch clicking just above the TCCM. Is this for the 4wd?
ok, give me a few minutes while i pull up some info

to answer your question, there is no other parts by the tccm that could be causing the clicking noise. but, I am going to have to eat a little crow. I was thinking this was a NP1 transfer case setup, when in fact you do have a NP8 auto system. my apologies. the system is pretty simple, The NV236 transfer case is an automatic transfer case with three drive ranges. Shifting from rear wheel drive to four wheel drive is done automatically when the transfer case shift control module receives wheel rotating slip information from the speed sensors. The transfer case shift control module then engages the transfer case motor/encoder to position the transfer case from rear to four wheel drive. When the transfer case shift control module receives information that the wheel rotation is the same on both axles, the transfer case shift control module sends position information to the motor/encoder to put the transfer case back into rear wheel drive. The three drive ranges are 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO. The 2HI position is for normal driving with the rear wheels pushing the vehicle. The 4HI, position is for driving through sand, snow, mud, gravel, or heavy rain at normal or slightly below normal speeds. The 4HI engages the front axle to allow for four wheel drive. The front axle is pulling the vehicle, and the rear axle is pushing the vehicle. The 4LO range is used for off road driving, heavy snow, deep mud, or shallow fording. The 4LO is similar to the 4HI except that the gearing in the transfer case is set for low speed and high torque. The NV236 is manufactured at Syracuse New York by New Venture Gear a division of New Process Gear for General Motors.

what we see most of the time, is a bad encoder motor assembly or a issue with the transfer case module. but since I am eating crow, do you have a high end scan tool that can pull codes from the tccm? or read tccm data?

to help you out,,,found out what I as you about wasit for the 4 way flashers. I don't know how this co-exists but, when you do a search for clicking noises and 4wd the "experts' say it's the TCCM. We are narrowing down this problem. Also have found aswers that say it's the sensor near the mastor cylinder which we can't find what the heck that is......

We need to go thru a list of what it is NOT so far.........

Ok, there is a vacuum switch mounted on the fire wall. this switch is for the front actuator that is cable operated. all the flow diag charts require a scan tool to perform. here is a picture of the switch you are asking about

(8)Front Axle Vacuum Solenoid Connector

we replaced the solenoid on the firewall...it was a cheap part,,,thought we'd try cheap first

Ok, cheap roll of the dice, anyway since you have already did a good visual inspection of the transfer case module it looks good as far connections. what i am really looking for, is there a code C0327 stored. this is the most common code we see on the set ups. which is always a bad encoder motor. but, encoder motors are a pretty expensive part. is there any way you can get your hands on a high end scan tool that can pull codes from the transfer case module?
I will see if an auto parts store can do it. Sorry I had my Honda broken into on Wed. we have been dealing with that
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124