Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 Chevy impala: problem...blower motor resistor..forums..only run

Customer Question
2003 Chevy Impala AC Fan...
2003 Chevy Impala AC Fan (blower?) problem.
I replaced the blower motor resistor based on forums. This did not resolve problem. Original Symptom - for quite some time (months), the AC fan would only run on position 2 and 5. The selector required some "futzing" to make it work, gently change settings from 4 to 5 to 4 then back, for instance.
New symptom - now the fan only operates on position 1, again with the switch seeming "unwilling" at times and requiring more "futzing."
The AC compressor does kick on and I've checked the fuses on the right and left interior fuse boxes.
Would appreciate solution, certainly, or additional diagnostic steps, too.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/18/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Ok has the blower motor itself been checked along with the actual heater control module these are known to short out?
Best answer to your question is no.

Correction - upon reading my description above I noticed an inconsistency. The autoparts website refers to it as a both an A/C blower motor resistor and blower control module on another page.

I replaced the A/C Heater Blower Motor Resistor. Really tough to get to third bolt up by firewall/insulation. (My understanding is that resistor was involved creating in the fan speeds.)

The blower fan does spin, as mentioned. However we seem to only get it to run on setting 1.

I'm not sure what the heater control module is.
Ok the HVAC control module is located center of the dash they also call this the heater control model was this checked?
ah. no. what is method for checking?

also, is there a more definitive test for the blower motor?
The voltage starts at the junction power block at the left side of instrument panel and at the a/c fan fuse 20 amp.You will need to follow the path through the HVAC control module to the blower motor resistor assembly and to the motor.If you need to remove the heater control panel here is how to do that.Also heres the diagram to test these components.You will need a voltmeter or a test light.HEres how to remove the heater control panel.
ClickHere
Here is the wiring schematic .
graphic

These would be the next steps to proper diagnosis and repair.
Please remember the site has changed and you need to click the got the job done or higher rating for me to get credit for my help.Anything lower gives me negative feedback and I do not get compensated for my help.If you need further assistance please let me know I would be glad to help.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
So, now I've checked the blower motor and I've been able to jumper power thru the resistor at various speeds and the blower motor responds.

I'm stuck now at how to get to the AC control panel to diagnose it.
Ok first of all by selecting helped a little left me negative feedback and I do not get credit for my help . I thrive on customer satisfaction as you can see with my profile . You need to click got the job done or higher for this to change.Also I have already posted that earlier for you in my answer where it says click here in blue . Here's is the removal link again.
ClickHere

.Please remember the site has changed and you need to click the got the job done or higher rating for me to get credit for my help.Anything lower gives me negative feedback and I do not get compensated for my help.If you need further assistance please let me know I would be glad to help.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
OK, look the site said if you rate "helped a little or lower" I would be able to continue working with my expert. That's what I did. I will use the "reply" link instead. I figured it did the same thing. I guess not.

I fully expect that I'll rate my service as Great Service. I just don't know how to get the control panel out of the dash/trim/panel thing.

Your removal link provided is mostly about how to disconnect the wiring connectors. It pretty much glosses over steps 1 and 2, which is what I need to do next.
Which part are you having an issue removing . The link tells you all the steps . Let me know I would be glad to help. Also appreciated clicking great service .
Step 1 - remove the instrument cluster trim plate bezel
Step 2 - remove the front floor console

The link (PDF file) doesn't have any diagrams for steps one or two. The first diagram seems to be for step three.

Please provide expanded information for steps one and two. Diagrams are very helpful.
Ok this should help.Here's a good link.ClickHereTrim Plate Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster (Impala) Removal Procedure Apply the parking brake.Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.Adjust the steering wheel for access.Remove the steering column filler panel.Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole covers.Remove the screws from the I/P cluster trim plate.Starting at the right end of the I/P cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.Continue working around the I/P cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the I/P trim pad.Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.Remove the I/P cluster trim plate.
Cool. Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I'll let you know.
Ok don't forget to rate better then helped a little I would really appreciate it thanks .
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tore apart dash this weekened and replaced blower switch - all is working now. Thank you for your help.
Anytime glad to help. Choosing three stars or great service would be appreciated .
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician