Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 chevy blazer: with 2wd..replaced fuel pump..sending unit

Customer Question
2001 chevy blazer with 2wd...
2001 chevy blazer with 2wd, fuel injection on 4.3l CSEFI engine. last july would not start. fuel gage not working, replaced fuel pump and sending unit for gage, fixed wiring under dash which fixed the gage, one new injector and injector saddle something or the other (i assumed it had to do with fuel dilevery to the injectors, but not sure what it was ) total cost of a little more than $1000. for all the parts and labor. Started OK until cold weather in December. Gave up on it for a while. researched the problem and replaced the air intake temp sensor. Started OK until the weather changed. if it is warm or hot weather with no rain for a few days the blazer will crank and run. otherwise it hits and if i pump it the motor will try to start but only hits a time or 2 and quits. purchased a new chevy but will not give up on the blazer, how about the fuel pressure regulator????? or injecctors or what do you think????
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/12/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 5 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
hi
the first thing to check here is the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 55psi at all times..even while turning the starter when it wont start,,it is very common to get a new weak fuel pump for these vortec engines....so,check the fuelpressure first.....
if the pressure is good and
also,,,sense you say it acts worse when the weather is damp,..tune it up,if it hasnt been done in a while,,,,,,a bad distributer cap and rotor are a common problem for these...
next,you may want to check/replace the crank sensor..this is located near the crank pulley,,these can also get a hair line crack in them,,and cause it not to start and act up with the weather
thanks
Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
Was tuned up in July of last year, plugs, wires, little unit in distributer and cap, really don't think the problem is in the electrical as in spark. Really think they put on a bad fuel pump (have not checked the pressure) but not sure. in the begining of all this was getting a fuel system error code in the computer. Have not replaced the fuel tank cap, is the one that the factory put on, could this cause it not to start if the gas cap is bad? how much trouble is it to get to the crank sensor you were talking about? Just don't want to spend a lot more on this thing but am stubborn, I want to fix it but need to put money in the supension and tires not in the fuel system and then is it worth it, real nice loaded with everything sunroof, heated seats, leather you know, 2 nice to trown away!
yes,,it is worth fixing
no,,the gas cap wouldnt cause this,,,,,so,,do check the fuel pressure......i will give you directions for the crank sensor
thanks

2001 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Crankshaft Position Sensor Locations, Components: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
46_gc01stbdy_6-635.png
Locations View

66_gc01stbdy_6-1061.png
Locations View

001 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
Crankshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Replacement
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: The CKP system variation learn procedure will need to be performed whenever the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is removed or replaced. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.

54_gc01ck8by_6-2107c.png

1. Raise the vehicle.
2. If the vehicle is equipped with the underbody shield package, then remove the steering linkage shield mounting bolts.

45_gc00ck8by_6-1260a.png

3. Remove the steering linkage shield.

24_gc01stbdy_6-1456b.png

4. Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector.

49_gc01ck8by_6-2105c.png

5. Remove the CKP sensor mounting bolt.

50_gc01ck8by_6-2106a.png

6. Remove the CKP sensor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT:
^ When installing the CKP sensor, make sure the sensor is fully seated before tightening the mounting bolt. A poorly seated CKP sensor may perform erratically and may set false DTCs.
^ Do not reuse the original O-ring.

50_gc01ck8by_6-2106a.png

1. Replace the CKP sensor O-ring.
2. Lubricate the O-ring with clean engine oil before installing the CKP sensor.

IMPORTANT: Make sure the CKP sensor mounting surface is clean and free of burrs.

3. Install the CKP sensor.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

49_gc01ck8by_6-2105c.png

4. Install the CKP sensor mounting bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the CKP sensor mounting bolt to 8 N.m (71 lb in).

24_gc01stbdy_6-1456b.png

5. Connect the CKP sensor harness connector.

53_gc01ck8by_6-2107b.png

6. Install the steering linkage shield.

54_gc01ck8by_6-2107c.png

7. Install the steering linkage shield mounting bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 33 N.m (24 lb ft).

8. Lower the vehicle.
9. Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning
Crankshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
IMPORTANT: For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC P1336.

1. Install a scan tool.
2. With a scan tool, monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P1336, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Close the vehicles hood.
4. With a scan tool, select the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure.
5. Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.
6. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following.
^ Apply the vehicles parking brake.
^ Block the drive wheels.
^ Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
^ Apply and hold the brake pedal.
^ Start and idle the engine.
^ Turn OFF the A/C.
^ Place the vehicles transmission in Park (A/T) or Neutral (M/T).
^ The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
- Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor activity. If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to DTC P0335 or DTC P0336.
- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity. If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to DTC P0341.
- Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
7. With the scan tool, enable the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure.

IMPORTANT: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

8. Slowly increase the engine speed to the RPM that you observed.
9. Immediately release the throttle when fuel cutoff is reached.
10. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool does NOT display this message and no additional DTCs set, refer to Symptoms - Engine. If a DTC set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
11. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic