Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

axle removal 2000 z71

axle removal 2000 z71
5/27/2012
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

4 wheel drive/.?

What axle>?

What have you done so far?

the pin wont slide out to slide axles in to remove C clips

yes it'sXXXXX G80 Locker

removed the differnetial cover and removed the the locking pin bolt

So you, removed the 5/16 locking pin? the pinion pin will not slide out?

I have not run into that

are you sure the lock pin you took out is all in one piece and not broken at all>?

yes, the lock pin isnt broken

yes, the pinion pin wont slide out

most i've worked with in the past push out with your finger or a slight tap with a punch

I need to know how to get this out on the locker rearend is there any other type of pin or bolt that retains the pin?

I have to opt out.

I am unsure on that one.

Another expert should be along shortly.

Please dont repsond to me as post will remian locked to me. Sorry could not help
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Nothing else holding it in. I have run into these before that seemed to be welded in place. What I did was soak the ends with PB Blast, and then wrap a shop rag around the pinion pin in the middle and use channel locks on it to twist it back and forth as I pulled with channel locks to get it started out the end. Once I have about 2" out, I could slide it out by hand the rest of the way.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
mine has a metal block with the pin through it and the locker mechanisim next to that i cant even see the pin

sorry, missed the part about being a locking differential.

On this, the pin only should slide out partway until the block hits the carrier. The turn the rear end until the pin hits the housing. Then you use a screwdriver to align the clip with the thrust block and pull out

graphic

mine doesnt look like this it has a ratchet mechainism with 2 bars and springs i just need to get the ceter pin out so i can slide the axles in to get clips off
Relist: Other.
unique situation
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Did the full length of the locking pin come out? If any portion of this pin is broken off and left inside the pinion shaft then the pinion shaft will not come out.

graphic

i got the full locking pin out

it was broke ,but i got the piece inside of the pinion shaft out with a magnet

There may just be a burr on the end of the pinion shaft from the pin being broken. There is nothing else that secures the pinion shaft into the differential carrier. Use a hammer and punch to drive the pinion shaft out of the differential carrier.
i have tried that and i cant get it to move no more than about a half inch in either direction it moves loosely
Pull out on both drive axles and then try again, in case one of the axle ends is inhibiting movement of the shaft. This should not be the case however. You may just need to drive it one direction, then the other until it moves out far enough.
i pulled out on axles and have used a punch with a sledge and its not moving is it going to mess anything up if i just keep beatin the living 'you know what" out of it?
It will not harm anything else to keep beating the pinion shaft out of the carrier. It will eventually hit the inside of the differential housing, so watch for that.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician