Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2002 chevy Impala: my brake lights dont work..new one

I have a 2002 chevy...
I have a 2002 chevy Impala and my brake lights don't work. The shop advised it was the multiswitch. I purchased and installed a new one. Still no brake lights. The trunk lid light does work. I have already replaced the hazard switch as well. Turn signals work. Hazards work. running lights work. Fuses are good. Any ideas?
5/26/2012
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
ok so all the rear lights work expept for the right and left brake light ?hazzards work fine?and the 3rd brake light works fine?
Yes to all the above. I'm not getting power to the left/right brake lights
ok since the 3 rd brake light works we know the brake switch is good.remove the hazzard swithc and test for 12 volts at the WHITE wire at the hazzard connector when you step on the brake pedal.if no 12 volts then the white wire from that switch to the brake switch is bad.if you have 12 volts there plug back in the hazzard connection and see if when you step on the brake pedal with the hazzard switch off it should send 12 volts out of that switch threw the brown wire.if not the hazzard switch is bad if it is sending out 12 volts out the brown wire then the brwon wire is broken or bad from the hazzard switch to the multi function switch.more than likey you will find the hazzard switch is the problem and not sending 12 volts out the brown wire
The hazard switch is new as well. Should I still check it per the instructions above
yes test for the things i said for
ok since the 3 rd brake light works we know the brake switch is good.remove the hazard switch and test for 12 volts at the WHITE wire at the hazzard connector when you step on the brake pedal.

A: I have 12 volts on the white wire when brakes are on.

if you have 12 volts there plug back in the hazzard connection and see if when you step on the brake pedal with the hazzard switch off it should send 12 volts out of that switch threw the brown wire.

A: no 12 volts from brown wire when brakes on, hazard switch plugged in and off. I just replaced this hazard switch 3 months ago. Should I spend another $55 for a new one? The hazard lights work and so do the turn signals...
to confirm its the switch unplug it and with a wire or paper clip jump the white wire terminal to the brown wire terminal if you step on the brakes and they light up that hazzard switch it the problem and will need to be replaced
the jumper produced brake lights. Will purchase new and advise.
no problem.that nwe hazzard switch should fix you right up
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician