Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

95 camaro: 3.4L..cranking..Service engine light comes

Customer Question
95 camaro 3.4L auto....
95 camaro 3.4L auto. Hard to start, prolonged cranking. Service engine light comes on but shows no code. Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, both O2 sensors, plugs, air filter and map.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/22/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
hi
from the way you explan the problem,,it sounds as if you may have a bad ignition module,,this is located under the coils..what i think is going on,is that the starter is pulling power away from the bad module,,,thus ,not letting it start for a period of time
thanks
1995 Chevrolet Camaro V6-204 3.4L VIN S SFI
Ignition Control Module Service and Repair, Procedures: Ignition Module Replacement
56_9404gm-280.png
Ignition Coil Assembly

61_9404gm-282.png
Ignition Coils And Module

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
1. Disconnect 6-way, 3-way and 2-way connector at ignition control module.
2. Remove spark plug wire harness from coils.
3. Remove (6) screws securing ignition coils to ignition control module.
4. Disconnect coils from ignition control module.
5. Remove ignition control module.

INSTALL OR CONNECT
1. Ignition coils to ignition control module.
2. Install (6) screws.

Tighten
Screws to 4.5 Nm (40 lb. in.)

3. Connect spark plug wires.
4. Connect electrical connectors.
should there always be fuel pressure at the port by the regulator? I can't get any pressure there unless the car is started and running.
yes..there should be pressure when you turn the key on,,
the fuel pump should come on for 2 seconds..then,shut off,then run anytime the engine is turning..
Let me check that out tomorrow. Will gladly give you Love It feedback if you're right. This is driving me nuts. Thanks and I will log in tomorrow and get you paid if it works out.
Thanks
ok
that will be fine
thanks
Well I spent $100.00 on a ignition module and it made no difference.

Still hard to start, shows service engine soon, but no one can read a code on it.

once started it runs... but when accelerating, it is erratic, will bog, pick up speed and then smooth out. I am getting close to $700.00 in parts for this with no improvement.

Oh and I already replaced the egr valve as well.

Help
hi
sense the engine light is on....lets get the codes...
i will show you how to get the codes without a scanner

995 Chevrolet Camaro V6-204 3.4L
Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection, Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes: Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Without Scan Tool
54_9403gm-002.png
Data Link Connectors (DLC)

SYSTEM CHECK:
Since this is the starting point for the diagnostic procedure or finding the cause of an emissions test failure, always begin here. The system check is performed through the twelve pin Data Link Connector (DLC) under the instrument panel in the passenger compartment.

The Powertrain system check is a procedure that determines the following:

1. Bulb Check - to check "SES" light circuit and that the computer can complete the circuit.

2. Diagnostic Mode - this indicates if the diagnostic mode is working.

3. Engine Start - this step is done after it has been determined that the computer will display codes and data.

4. Other Codes - Proceed to the applicable chart if a code is displayed. NOTE: A "Scan" tool may be needed to use diagnostic charts. If all systems appear to be functioning,

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION:
To extract a trouble code from the computer for diagnostic purposes, the twelve pin data link connector (DLC) is used.

The DLC is located in the passenger compartment. Terminal B of the connector is the test terminal and terminal A is the ground used for diagnostic display.

If the test terminal is grounded with the ignition on and engine not running, the system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the computer will display a Code 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light. A Code 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession. After Code 12 is displayed, any stored trouble codes will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light. All codes are displayed 3 times each then a code 12 will repeat. In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids. After determining the trouble code(s),

FIELD SERVICE MODE:
If the test terminal is grounded with the engine running, the system will enter the field service mode. In this mode, the "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light will indicate whether the system is in open or closed loop operation. If the system is in open loop operation, the light will flash approximately two and one-half times per second. Closed loop operation is indicated by the light flashing approximately once per second. A "Scan" tool can be used to enter the "Field Service Mode."