Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2006 HHR gear shifter locked..park position and key..column

Customer Question
2006 HHR gear shifter locked...
2006 HHR gear shifter locked in park position and key can not be removed from column. How do I either get it to function temp. until I get it to service. Or how can I remove entire shifter assembly.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/9/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Do the brake light works when stepping on the brakes?
The problem occurred last night, so now the battery is dead. So I do not know if the answer is yes or no untill I get a charger on the battery. I will place a charger on the battery now. I will get back with the resultant answer.

Ok that's what killed the battery and until it's replaced it will keep happening . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
That is not the answer to my question. My question dealt with the gear shifter locked in the Park mode of the transmission and the key would not come out of the column. This all occurred last night. Therefore the barttery obviuosly went dead. What is the answer to my question about getting the shifter from the park position and the key out of the column or how do Igo about removing the shifter assemby?
Ok sorry mixed your question with another . If the brake light switch is bad it will cause this issue. You can disconnect the battery and the key should come out or replacing the battery will fix the issue .Sorry for any confusion.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The answer did not address my original question.
Chevy Mechanic: Jettadan1, Chevy Technician replied 5 years ago
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Hi, I can retrieve any replacment info you need , But the reason you want to check brake lights after its charged up a little is it works with your shift interlock solenoid. and when charged up a bit if they dont work for you the brake switch may need to be replaced or tightened if its loose. Its on the brake peddle stem. out of site high on stem. Lets check this out and then let me know what you find. then if brake lights are working fine then its the shift lock solenoid and I can get repair info to you no problem. This is a back and forth thread and I will work with you until you have everything possible.

Thank Daniel

Daniel,

I am not being wise but why do you and the other tech want to talk about the brake lights?
My questions IS:

My gear shift lever is stuck in the Park mode and will not shift out of it. The key in the column switch is stuck in position and can not be removed. I know that the problem is not new to this HHR shifter and it deals with the mechcanical mechanism in the shifter housing. It has nothing to do with the brake lights. The battery went dead because this condition with the shifter and key occurred last night and so all the residuals drained the battery over night. That is a differrent issue and one I do not need help with.

Thanks Jerry. I understand your frustration. It is a cause and affect issue If brake switch is bad your shift interlock solenoid wont let you shift or take key out. in some cases the shift solenoid if brake switch is not bad can be reset if battery is unhooked for a minute and put back on. I am very aware of the issues the HHR has But there is a process a couple of things to get out of the way. maybe call it a flow of dianostics. I will need to know what engine size you have. is it 2.2 or 2.4?
Okay, I will try the battery disconnection. Also this is a 2.4 l engine.

Ok thanks. I have your hhr up on my computer now and have every testing, diagram, repair info, and parts location and images. Let me know how it goes. I am working on some info for you.

Bulletin No.: 03-07-30-043A

Date: May 25, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Information Regarding Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Function

Models:
2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2007 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

with Automatic Transmission

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-07-30-043 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle). This bulletin is being issued to better explain how the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control (formerly known as Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI)) feature is intended to operate. Revised wording regarding the shift lock control system began appearing in the Owner Manuals beginning with the 2004 model year.

The shift lock control feature was intended to prevent drivers from shifting out of Park with the vehicle running without the brakes applied. However, if the ignition switch is in the Accessory (ACC) position, it may be possible on some vehicles to move the shift lever out of Park WITHOUT first activating the brake.

The shift lock control system is ONLY active when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ON position. This means that when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ON position, the shift lever cannot be moved out of the Park position without activating the brake.

Some owners may feel that the shift lock control system prevents an unattended child from moving the vehicle. Please stress to owners, as stated in the Owner Manual, that children should NEVER be left unattended in a vehicle, even if the ignition key has been removed from the vehicle.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation
The automatic transmission shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of thew following components:

• The automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid
  • The body control module (BCM)
  • The engine control module (ECM)

The BCM controls the voltage to the shift lock control solenoid through the shift lock control solenoid controlled voltage circuit. The following conditions must be met before the BCM will supply voltage to the shift lock control solenoid:

• The ignition is in the ON position
  • The ECM sends an input via GMLAN serial data to the BCM when the transmission control module (TCM) indicates the transmission is in the PARK position
  • The BCM receives a brake applied input from the brake light switch

Since the shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded, the BCM supplies voltage to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid, releasing the mechanical lock on the shift lever as the solenoid energizes. The energized solenoid allows the driver to move the shift lever out of the PARK position. When the brake pedal is not applied, the BCM turns the control voltage output of the shift lock control solenoid OFF, de-energizing the shift lock control solenoid. When the transmission is in the PARK position, the de-energized shift lock control solenoid will prevent shifting as the lever is mechanically locked in the PARK position. During remote start operation the BCM will de-energize the automatic transmission shift lock control circuit, locking the shift lever in the PARK position.

Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI. Click here for shift control removel
Does the key turn and start car in park? and turn all the way back ?
Dan,

The car will start. The key will not return to the unlock position, but only in the shutt off position and it will not remove from the column. Your last post about the park pawl pin is probably on the correct track. I know that chev has had problems with this pin. I saw the diagram of the console and shifter module you sent, but it doesn't describe how to demantle to that point. I am willing to remove of this but want idea on getting the cowling, etc off to get to the shifter module.

I cannot tell if the pin moves when I activate the shifter button, but about 2 years ago I had a similiar intermittant problem. The service adivsor simply worked with the button and spray cleaner until it appearred to repair the problem...............at least until now.

Yes sounds very similair. click here for center support removel.
and click here. Just let me know what else you need. Smile
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Jettadan1
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician