Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2010 Chevy Cobalt: wont turn..ingnition..s electronics..restart

Customer Question
2010 Chevy Cobalt. Keyswitch...
2010 Chevy Cobalt. Keyswitch is locked run, won't turn to off postion so the key is stuck in the ingnition and the car's electronics are still active. I can restart, but not turn it off.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/5/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Doug, ASE Master Technician replied 5 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Master Technician

Doug :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com,I look forward to helping you,Doug

Doug :

Good morning Can you tell me mileage on you vehicle? Doug

Doug :

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt L4-2.2L

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Ignition System Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Technical Service Bulletins Customer Interest A/T - Various Concerns With Shifter And/Or Ignition Key

A/T - Various Concerns With Shifter And/Or Ignition Key

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 06-07-30-004G

Date: May 27, 2010

Subject: Various Concerns With Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models:
2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007-2010 Pontiac G5
with Automatic Transmission 4T45-E (RPO MN5)

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the Warranty Information #4. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-30-004F (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Important
When servicing a vehicle for any type of shifter/key concern, please perform the following initial inspections prior to replacing any parts. - Verify the electrical operation of the ignition lock cylinder solenoid. Refer to the Ignition Key Can/Cannot Be Turned Off With Transmission in Any Gear in SI.
- Verify the adjustment of the automatic transmission shift cable. Refer to the Shift Control Cable Adjustment procedure in SI.
- If these initial inspections do not resolve the customer concern, check the potential causes listed in this bulletin.

Condition #1 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)

Some customers may comment that the shifter binds.

Cause #1

The cause of this condition may be the shifter button sticking in the handle.

Correction #1

Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.

Parts Information #1

Warranty Information #1

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Condition #2 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)

Some customers may comment they cannot remove the ignition key.

Cause #2

The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position (refer to illustration above). This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer will not be able to remove the key from the ignition.

The illustration above shows the switch in a correct position.

Correction #2

Important
A change has been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).

Verify that the micro switch is out of position. Replace the shifter assembly. Refer to Transmission Control Replacement in SI.

Parts Information #2

Warranty Information #2

Condition #3 (2005-2008 Cobalt, G5 and Pursuit Only)

Some customers may comment that the shifter is hard to move.

Cause #3

The slider may be binding in the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate.

Correction #3

Replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following the procedure below:

1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
3. Remove shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
4. Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.
5. Remove the shifter indicator lens.
6. Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.
7. Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.
8. Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.
9. Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear.

Important
Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.

10. Install the shift indicator lens.
11. Install the shift indicator plate.
12. Install the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
13. Install the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.

Parts Information #3

Warranty Information #3

Condition #4 (All Years, All Models)

Some customers may comment that the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition cylinder.

Correction #4

Check for power and ground in the ignition circuit. Verify for proper connection/contact at circuit D1, connector (C4 or X4) at the BCM.

Warranty Information #4

Condition #5 (All Years, All Models)

Some customers may comment that the ignition key is difficult to remove or that the key sticks or binds in the ignition cylinder.

Correction #5

Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-02-35-005A for additional information.

Disclaimer

Customer:

I don't see how any of this helps me.

Doug :

This is a explanation of the failure , and what it takes to repair , can you give me mileage on your vehicle. Doug

Customer:

38000, it is a manul shift vehicle by the way

Doug :

sorry thought you had automatic trans , give me a minute to check for bulletins pleases

Doug :

OK there is no bulletins on the standard trans , the ON problem it could be is a bad lock cylinder, even though you are just out of warranty if you talk to management they will most likely repair for free or I can send you directions on how to repair. Doug

Customer:

No thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it.

Doug :

Did you get key out

Doug :

or do you have repair manual

Customer:

No, I misread. thought you were going to give me directions to a dealer

Doug :

OK I can send you step by step repairs if you would like to do the repair your self.

Customer:

Not sure that I can get a new switch on the weekend

Doug :

Most likely not , in order to do this repair you will need a original key take it to dealer to buy lock cylinder and have your key coded to new cylinder , so that your anti theft will allow vehicles to start. Doug

Customer:

Crap. I sort of thought so. Guess I'll just keep it on a charger til then and get to a dealer.

Doug :

If I were you I would disconnect battery , while not in use, Doug

Doug :

If there is anything Else I can do for you please ask , if Not please press the green accept button , as this is the only way I get credited for my time , Thanks Doug

Doug
Doug, ASE Master Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Master Technician