Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

how do i change the output speed sensor on a 2001 chevy malibu

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

Just to make sure are you replacing the output speed sensor for the speedometer operation or the input speed sensor?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Pete :

The output speed sensor is located near where the passenger axle enters the transmission housing right where it enters the housing,it will have one bolt holding it in place that can be removed,then the sensor removed and unplugged and replaced,usually less then 1.5 hours labor to do this.

Pete :

The input speed sensor is located internally in the transmission and the transmission would need removed and taken apart to gain access to replace this sensor,usually around 10 hours labor to replace this sensor and does require some special tools to do this repair as well from a dealer or transmission shop.

Customer:

It is the output sensor, the input sensor has already been changed. My brother is the one that is changing it and he is a mechanic and can't even find where it is located! I would like a detailed explanation. He has tried looking for it where you described and was unsuccessful, wondering if a picture would help?

Pete :

Let me check on a picture for you,be right back.

Customer:

thanks

Pete :

Here is a picture of what it should look like and its location,notice how it is right next to the output flange on the transmission:

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Pete :

1. Position the vehicle on a hoist and raise the vehicle.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector.

3. Remove the output speed sensor stud.

4. Remove the output speed sensor from the transaxle case. Important: Inspect the O-ring for damage and replace if necessary.

5. Remove the O-ring from the output speed sensor.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i get a hold of you if i have further questions?

Pete :

You can bookmark this page and save it to your favorites or come back to this posting from the emails sent to you from this post.You can do this at any time even after the accept if needed.

Customer:

thanks:)

Pete :

Your welcome.

Pete :