Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet duramax: 1. what is the normal oil pressure for the

1. what is the normal oil pressure for the 6.6 havy dully duramax diesel??

2. when I start the truck the oil pressure is on 60psi, and once it warm up ithas the oil pressure between 38 and 40 psi when I speed it go up and then back down to 38 40...
Is tha normal??? or not??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. You are within specificatins which are 14psi at idle and 42psi at 1800 rpm so it would be considered normal and nothing to worry about. Let me know if youo have questions or if there is anything else at all I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok! So the oil pressure once again where is at is perfeclty correct??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
That is correct..You are no where near 14 psi at idle so in my opinion you are doing great with nothing to worry about. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

two more questions dan...

my last concerned Once i start the engine the pressure always going to be on 60psi and once it warm up it has to be in 42 psi or a little bet below...

what type of engine oil should I use for my duramax??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Oil is thicker when cold so that is normal and it takes CJ4 5w-40. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the check engine light on and the reason Is on is because it has a failure in the EGR system I want to know what is the EGR system??
it need something to repair??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
EGR means exhaust gas recirculation.I would recommend getting it fixed..If it runs good then it shoudlnt cause any problems but its always nice to know vehicle is running like it should. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok!! so far The oil pressure doesn't have anything to do with the EGR system right??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Correct, they are not related. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I put 10W-30 on my engine is tha ok??

and I should change the oil when the truck has how man mileage??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ya that should be fine but I would stick with the recommended oil.