Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 Chevy: delco CD/AM/fm radio..dealership to have it unlocked

Customer Question
I have purchased a Delco...
I have purchased a Delco CD/AM/FM radio for my 2001 Chevy Express Van I use as a Electrician every day, when I turned it on after installing a message came up that said time of day and the letters LOCKED, according to the manual it says i need to go back to the dealership to have it unlocked? can you help?

thanks very much,

Bob DeVilleneuve [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/19/2012
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Ok, the antitheft system that locks the radio is based upon the VIN code for car it is going into being inputted via a GM factory scanner. That is the ONLY way you will get this radio operational. You will pay about 1/2hr labor for a dealer to do this for you. Again, this is the ONLY way. there are no work arounds, no programming yourself or anything else that will work. there is no way to prevent the radio from going into security lock as when you hook it up to yours, it will read the radio VIN code from the serial data and automatically lock it because it doesnt match the VIN code of your vehicle , which will REQUIRE the use of a gm factory scanner to unlock by programming your VIN code into the radio.

FROM GM SERVICE MANUAL:

Theft Deterrent

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

1. A radio is installed from another vehicle
  2. The DIM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thanks Eric,
I wish the salvage yard would of told me this.

Bob

unfortunately most salvage yard guys dont know the technology in newer vehicles and how they work...
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager