Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: hello, i own a 2010 silverado 5.3

hello, i own a 2010 silverado 5.3 1500 4x4. its consuming oil at a rapid rate. id ballpark 2q every 4-5k miles. im used to checking the oil so just the consumption isnt my main concern. the truck has 26000 miles now and its oil fouled 2 spark plugs so far and misfired setting off the DTC light. PCV fixes maybe?

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Are you under warranty?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes its under warranty.
You need to get it to the dealer and get this documented, depending on how bad the oil usage is you might be getting a new engine. There have been issues with oil usage in some of those.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could you please opt out? i beleive i need to consult with a GM tech that works at a chevy dealer. reason being, he would be privy as to what they are really doing to fix this issue. i beleive it to be in the AFM system or PCV. my local dealer said they replaced that first plug because it cracked. thanks for your time and effort though.
no problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
i need to consult with a certified GM technician about my 2010 chevy silverado
Have you talked to your local dealer about this yet? There are a few concerns on these trucks about oil usage. There is a bulletin for the number 1 and 7 spark plugs getting oil fouled.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi mike, i took it to the dealer the first time for the #1 plug fouling. although they didnt say it oil fouled, they said it cracked. i raised concern for that, and the advisor said " weve seen a few". it of course remedied the misfire so i took the truck. i was on the road after hours on the weekend when #7 misfired. i had to purchase an iridium plug at autozone to get me through the weekend. i saved the plug. it has oil residue built up on it. what should i ask for when i return? its only a matter of time before the issue resurfaces im sure.

Here is some information on a bulletin they need to look at. This information is avaible to any dealership and the last time you were there they should have performed this repair which is to replace the valve covers.

#12-06-01-001: Service Engine Soon Light On, Rough Running Engine, Cracked or Oil Fouled #1 and/or 7 Spark Plug - (Jan 18, 2012)

Some customers may comment on a service engine soon light being on and/or rough running engine. Technicians may find DTC P0300 set. Upon further investigation, technicians may find cylinder #1 and #7 spark plugs oil fouled and/or the porcelain may be cracked or broken on the combustion chamber side.

This occurs on the driver's side (left side) of the engine due to PCV pullover that adds additional oil to the cylinders that can foul out or damage the spark plugs.

Install a new left valve cover with the revised baffle to prevent PCV pullover that adds additional oil to the cylinders.

12570427

COVER ASM-VLV RKR ARM (2007-2008 Only)

12642655

COVER ASM-VLV RKR ARM (2009-2011 Only)

12612045

GASKET, VLV RKR ARM CVR

Experience: ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you so much for your answer and help! have a great weekend!

Larry

Let me know what they do for you.