Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

2005 Silverado crew cab, 5.3 v-8...one of the pulley that had gone

I have a 2005 Silverado crew cab, 5.3 v-8. Truck started making a ticking noise this morning from the front of the motor. removed the fan belts thinking it was one of the pulley that had gone bad, but the noise remains without the belts on it. Sounds like it is coming from behind the bottom pulley. Could this be the front bearing or the timing chain?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chevy expert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Yes if you have a taking noise directly behind the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine this is most likely a timing chain that is loose or starting to fall apart I would not drive it very far like there's without removing the cover and replacing it first
If you need the procedure for replacing the timing chain let me know I'll be glad to help you I'll be with you as long as it takes to solve your problem thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would be the price range for having a shop perform this repair?
Not a terrible job you're probably looking about 5 hours of labor depending on what the labor rate is near you approximately $500 in labor and approximately $200 in parts