Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My gages do not work but everything else does and the truck

Customer Question
runs fine. How do I...
My gages do not work but everything else does and the truck runs fine. How do I fix my gauges.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chevy
2/5/2012
Chevy Mechanic: stin1974, Transmission Tech replied 5 years ago
stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Every gauge in the cluster is inoperable, correct? Also, have you checked your fuses?
to both question, Plus when I changed my battery the gauges started working, but they have stopped again.
How many miles are on the vehicle?
just over 100,00, I was thinking of join ahead and changing out all the fuses since the truck is 8yrs old and over 100,000 miles.
Well I would check th fuses first. But if you have power to the instrument cluster then the fuse is good because it's all powers on the same fuse. They have ha problems with this cluster and there is actually a recall on these. They had a problem with a short in the cluster on these vehicles. This should help you out.
07187C -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION
Models: 2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT
2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)
2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE
2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)
2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL
2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008..
CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.
Condition
Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Vehicles Involved
Involved are all 2003 and 2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles
stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech
Obviously check all the fuses first but I would suspect the instrument cluster is faulty. Common problem as I said.
stin1974
stin1974
stin1974, Transmission Tech