Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy Cavalier drivers side car window won't go up. How to fix this?

Chevy Cavalier drivers side car...
Chevy Cavalier drivers side car window won't go up. Husband took off inside door panel. What next. Not trying to fix motor now. Just trying to get window up because it is 20 degrees and I need car for work.
1/15/2012
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Doe she have a test light or multi meter for testing electrical as I can tell you what needs tested to locate what component is at fault here.

Other then locating and repairing the fault with the door panel off he should see either one to two screws that secure the window glass to the window regulator,these can be loosened/removed then the glass can be slid up manually by hand to close the window and either tape used to secure the glass in place or something like wood blocks used inside the door to support the window from the bottom to keep it up in place.

Most common is usually the window motor or regulator that can fail and cause this here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
He has a test light. Where does he put it to test it? He is not sure where the motor is? He took the inside cover off the door and lifted the plastic. He has not removed any metal.
O.k.

The motor is attached to the window regulator,it will have a two wire connector plugged into it.

Unplug this connector and take the test light and take one end of the test light and contact one wire on this connector and the other end and probe the other wire,then turn on the key and operate the window switch for the window to go up and then back down.The test light should light each time the switch is pressed.

If it does then the window motor is at fault and needs replaced.

If it doesn't then the switch is most likely at fault and needs replaced.

Also if with the motor plugged in and you operate the window switch you can hear the motor running then most likely the window regulator is at fault and needs replaced.The regulator is the component that holds the window and operates the window up and down.

I guess he will try this later. he only wants to know where the screws are that need unscrewed so we can get the window up for now. Thanks,
Your welcome,the screws are at the bottom of the window and can be accessed with the door panel off.

Don't forget to click accept if you feel satisfied with my assistance as this is how I get credited for my time.

Thanks Pete!
My husband cannot find the screws. He has not taken any metal off the door. Do you have a picture of where the screws should be?
I don't have any pictures of this specific model but they are located at the bottom of the glass where it attach's to the metal arms on the window regulator,being that the window is down they may be hard to see and or locate but this is where the glass attach's to the regulator.

If this doesn't have the bolts then the glass is slid onto the regulator in a channel and the glass guide rails have to be loosened to then be able to tilt the glass inside the door and the regulator assembly bolts removed so it can be slid off of the glass.Some vehicles have this feature instead of bolts/screws holding the window on and the window has to be slid off of the regulators channel by tilting and rotating and sliding the regulator assembly.

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Thanks for your help.
Pete, Auto Service Technician