Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Oil pressure gauge goes up to 80 when van is started..fluctuating

oil pressure gauge goes up to 80 when van is started and stays at 80 with out fluctuating.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Considering it goes right to 80 makes me think the fuel pressure sender is probably bad..You could start by connecting a mechanical guage to see if pressure is actually high if not replace the oil pressure switch/sensor. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have questions, thanks.

http://db.tt/pfm2dniw
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fuel pressure will affect oil pressure?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Oops, typo..I meant to say oil pressure sender. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i remove pressure sensor and thread in a mechanical gauge into sensor port?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
That is correct, you can barrow removal tool and guage from parts store. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok just one more, what would be the main or most likely problem if it was high oil pressure?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If oil pressure was actually high I would replace filter to see if that helps becuase it has a built in valve which can cause the high pressure if sticking but problem is usually the sender/sensor.. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.