Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 CHEVY EQUINOX LT: SENSORS..PADS..ROTORS..FRONT END BRAKE SYSTEM

I HAVE A 2005 CHEVY EQUINOX LT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE ABS SYSTEM STOPPING AT LOW SPEEDS I HAVE HAD THE FRONT HUBS AND SENSORS CHANGED AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. THE ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL LIGHTS COME ON AND ITS LIKE THE CAR FIGHTS YOU TO STOP AT LOW SPEEDS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS WHAT TO DO OR CHANGE NEXT I ALSO HAVE JUST REPLACED THE PADS AND ROTORS, THE FRONT END BRAKE SYSTEM HAS LESS THAT 10909 MILES ON IT
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. The mounting surface where sensor mounts are known to get dirty causing too large of gap which causes false abs activation. Remoe sensor then use a file and or sandpaper to clean mounting surface good and that should take care of issue. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dan i just replaced the hubs and sensors. i still need to sand down the surface? and you are talking about the surface of the hub
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Here is a picture of sensor and mounting surface that needs to be cleaned, steering knuckle not hub..If that doesnt help next step is to check for wiring/connectors causing resistanace but I'm pretty sure cleaning will help as its VERY comon. Let me know if you run into questions, you can reply at any time even after you accept without any additional fee's. Thanks.

http://db.tt/Tplfe8qT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that picture you showed me is where the sensor screws into the hub correct and should i have to sand a new part down
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Here is another picture I labeled hub and and steering knuckle so you can see what I'm talking about...If you replace the steering knuckle then test wiring..Let me know if you run into questions, you can reply at any tim even after you accept. Thanks.

http://db.tt/0E3SZdBn
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There is also a toothed ring which is on the drive shaft, this is what sensor reads for signal...inspect ring for cracks..If craced you will need to replace ring/driveshaft...You can also try to clean teeth with wire brush.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dan the 1st. photo yopu showed me was to sand under the sensor correct the 2nd. photo you show me the steering knuckle on the my equinox the sensor is mounted in the hub not the steering knuckle
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then if its mounted directly on the hub check toothed ring on driveshaft/axleshaft for cracks...This is the 2nd most common cause if mounting surface is clean/new. Let me know, thanks for accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dan i have replaced the front hubs and sensors the drivers side hub and sensor has been replaced twice just to make sure the parrt was not defective and the same code keeps coming up. try this do yoiu think my sending unit or module could be bad have you had any of these prob;lems before
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Is abs activating at low speeds? Or are you just getting codes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its acting up at low speeds when i apply the brake it is like the car is telling its self that it does not need to stop so the pedal fights me and backs off the brake i have gone thru red lights because the brakes release. it happens when i am stopping at a red light or stop sign the speed is about 5-10 miles an hour it has not happened to me at high speeds atleast not yet.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok thats what I thought from beginning so since you replaced sensor and hub it definitly sounds like debris on toothed ring on axle or a cracked ring.....Next step after that is doing resistance test on wiring between sensor and abs module...You can compare from left readings to front right to see if they are the same...If resistance is about the same and connections are clean/tight then abs module has failed which is almost never the case...Problem is almost always dirty mounting surface...since we know thats not the issues 2nd common issue is cracked ring on axle or debris buildup on axle..If resistance tests good on wiring I would personally replace axle/ring before module as its alot cheaper. Let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions,thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Just wanted to remind you again to carefully inspect wiring and do wiggle tests while checking resistance and replace harness as needed...I'd hate to see any parts replaced other then harness if thats the only problem...Let me know how it goes, thanks.