Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1994 Chevy: replace front and rear seal..speed transmission

Customer Question
I need to replace front...
I need to replace front and rear seal on a 1994 Chevy 5 speed transmission. Transmission is out of truck. I am having trouble taking out the rear seal, any suggestions? My biggest concern is the front seal. How do I take it out and what do I have to look out for? I am told I need to look out for needle bearings falling out as they can cause major problems if not done correctly.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2011
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is not as bad as you think.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The rear seal, is there a lip around the outside of metal that you can tap against?

This is not as bad as you think.

The rear seal, is there a lip around the outside of metal that you can tap against?IF so use a screwdriver and hammer to tap, if not then you will need a seal puller, and they are cheap to buy.

AS for the front seal, Take the bolts out and hold the shaft in as you gently remove the housing from around it. The transmission should be standing on its end to get this out. THen you can remove and replace the seal and gasket.

There is no lip, the seal is recessed into the housing about 1/4 inch in. I tried the seal puller and a screw driver but both are nicking the housing. The rubber came out but the metal ring won't budge. Any worry about needle bearings when removing front seal?
I see no warnings about the needle bearing when I confirmed this in the manual.
Can you pry inward a bit on one edge to fold it inside? you can use some RTV around the outside of the seal to seal any nicks.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
I will try that, thanks. More questions to follow.
I look forward to helping you again. Have a great day .
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician