Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Engine makes a noise like a spark knock or an exhaust leak…

Customer Question
Engine makes a noise like...
Engine makes a noise like a spark knock or an exhaust leak from the right side of the engine during acceleration, this doenst happen all the time but it seems to run better when it doesnt make the noise
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/20/2011
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the exhaust rattle when you hit it?

no, I checked exhaust manifold for lose bolts, and such
Ok check for the rattling exhaust in the pipe. I have a suspicion that the catalytic converter is bad and breaking up.
I took the engine cover off and it sounds like it was comming from the cyclinders, it only has 47k on it, doesnt do it all the time
Did you hit on the exhaust with your hand to see if it rattles around the converter?
I checked all of that out, comming from higher exhust manifold area,
OK is the check engine light flashing when it happens?
no just sounds like an exhust leak or spark knock
Is there black streaks around the exhaust?
No, checked it out pretty good, didnt really notice the problem untill i took off the engine cover, after I put it back on I seemed to notice the problem, thought I may have knocked something off or loose.
Did you knock the spark plug wires off at all or crack a plug?
replaced them just in case, little change, what about a knock sensor?
No that would not have started after having the cover off since they are on the side of the block on this.

well I am lost, I have no clue

Does unpluging any of the spark plugs make it stop?
what wold that do?
If this is spark knock it will stop it when you pull the cylinder that is causing it.
pull one off at a time and drive it down the road?
For s short time, yes.
Relist: Other.
cant seem to pinpoint the problem
Chevy Mechanic: Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Let's rule out an exhaust leak first, start the vehicle place it in gear and step on the accelerator so that there's a load on the engine. Now you or someone else use a short length of hose old one into your ear intake the other end and move around the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the engine and all of the exhaust connections to see if we have any leaks if you come across a leak you'll hear it immediately through the hose. If we are sure we have no exhaust leaks then we'll move on to find out what your engine go it's it's
made sure no exhust leaks checked it out pretty well, didnt notice the problem untill I removed the engine cover to check the temp sending unit for temp
Check to be sure the EGR valve is hooked up properly and the valve is not stuck closed
havent checked that yet, where is it located on the 4.3l ? it alway doesnt do it. mostly when I accelorate hard, and put it under a load, when I first noticed the problem I took the engine cover back off and checked all the connections put the cover back on and it seemed to be better but did not fix the problem
Please give me your vehicle identification number
1gcfg15x481143993, drove it around today only did it half of the time, when it did do it it sounded like the engines computer or something was trying to compensate for it, It come from the right side, if it is a stuck egr valve what are the sympyoms?
Okay look in your particular model you do not have an eGR valve, what main its has been done to this recently has anybody change the oil filter lately?
its about about 1500 past an oil change, 4500 since last oil change
Flush and change the oil and replace it with a Factory Oil filter is been known to have engine noises occur because of either the wrong oil filter or a cheaper manufacturer
took it in had it flushed and oil change with OEM filter, no change. What do you think the possibility it might be a software issue with the computer? Or a sensor?
There is a lot of different things that can cause this problem we may want to see if we have low fuel pressure but one of the easier things to do is have the PC M RE flashed with the latest software upgrade and see if an there may be a software glitch that needs reprogramming
Chevy expert
Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician