Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1997 chevy tahoe: brake lights..brake pedal..relays..fuses are good

Customer Question
1997 chevy tahoe brake lights...
1997 chevy tahoe brake lights don't work. have replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal and multifunction switch. have not found any relays and all fuses are good.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/23/2011
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Do the hazard and signal lights work properly?
hazards, turn signals, and tail lights all work, high mount brake light hasn't worked in a while. I have power going to Orange, but when brake pedal is pressed i have no power going to white. I have also tryed the same brake switch on another vehicle and it works. so brakeswitch isn'tfaulty
Ok, did you replace the brake booster recently and do you have the switch popped on the push rod
properly?
No I havn't replaced the brake booster and yes i have it on the push rod properly with the clip securing it on.
Then there is something not working in the interaction of the brake push rod to the brake switch. Does the play in there feel the same on both trucks? The switch requires some play or slop in the connection to operate the switch.
Yes it feels the same on the both trucks. Even if i "activate" the switch by hand still doesn't work. I cannot find the relay theres nothing in the under the hood relay/fuse box..
But if the white does not get power out and the orange has power in then their is a connection issue there then.
Is it the connector that the switch plugs into? Or... I'm stumped even my dad is even stumped haha :(
Yes, if you jump the white to the orange, do the lights work?
No.
How did you test power to the orange?
with a wire tester. with the switch plugged and unplugged.
Ok what kind of tester, a test light.
yea a test light
Ok and when you jump the orange to the white, does the white havana full power at the connector for the multifunction switch?
No there is no power to the white wire on the turn/multifunction switch
Even with the white Jumped to the orange? Can you tr running a jumper wire from the switch to the multifunction switch white wire and see if they do work?
from the orange wire of the brake switch to white of multi function or white to white.
White to orange if you want to try with out the brake switch and white to white if you do.
I tryed it both ways and no power
So even power jumped to the white they do to come on?

This does not make sense. Can you try a different power source to jump to white? And the white at the switch is the second in from the corner.
still nothing even tryed to jump it from a hot fuse... jumped it from white from turn signal switch to orange on brake switch
Ok so there is power on the orange, and power to the white with the brake pressed and there is power on the white at the multifunction switch but no brake lights and no top brake light?
I have power to the orange no power to the white with brake pressed and no brake lights period after jumping or trying it normal.
THe white wire at the connector, was it in the very corner of the connector nest to the pink wire?
Yes
And even jumping the pink to the white does not make them work?
i just tryed t jump pink to white and nothing.. i have power going t white wire but still no brake lights.
Then separate the connector and check the terminals. It sounds like there is a bad terminal or the new switch is bad.
The switch is new the terminal off brake switch is good.
But into the multifunction switch.
so i should replace my multifunction switch again.
If you are 100% certain the lights were not on when you had the pink in a2 jumped to the white in a1 of the switch then I think it is a terminal in that big connector or the switch again because that is a hot wire to make it work.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician