Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

impala: my 06..screwdriver..harness on the shifter..shift solenoid

Customer Question
I cant the key out...
I cant the key out of my 06 impala w/out using a screwdriver to push the manual release button. I had a problem with wires breaking at the harness on the shifter. I replaced the harness and dont have any problems with the shift solenoid. I know there is a power lead that goes to some type of switch that I think I may have shorted out. what do I need to do to replace this switch?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/6/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 6 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

On your Impala, there is a cable that connects the shifter to the igntion lock. If the cable is disconnected or is not properly moving then the key will not turn all the way back so it can be removed.

graphic
Ive never seen a cable on the shifter. Where does it connect at on either end? I do know that this happened before because a wire broke at the shifter electrical harness.
Picture below shows the park lock cable where it attaches at the steering column, on back side of where the ignition lock cylinder goes.

graphic

Picture below shows where the cable attaches to the shifter. Coming out of the front of the shifter adjacent to main shift cable. Below the picture is the procedure to adjust the cable, this should allow the key to be removed after it is properly adjusted if there is nothing else wrong with the cable.

graphic

1. Place the shift lever in the PARK position.
  2. Place the ignition key in the LOCK position.
  3. Ensure the shift lever cannot move to another position. The ignition key should be removable from the ignition lock cylinder.
  4. Place the ignition key in the RUN position.
  5. Place the shift lever in the NEUTRAL position.
  6. Ensure that the ignition key cannot turn to the LOCK position.
  7. The system is properly adjusted if the above conditions are met. Proceed to step 13.
  8. If the above conditions are not met proceed with the adjustment procedure.
  9. Pull the cable connector lock back to the UP position.
  10. Adjust the cable connector as outlined.
1 Push the cable connector nose forward to remove the slack.
2 Push the cable connector lock button down.
  1. Check the operation.
  2. If the ignition key cannot be removed in the PARK position, then pull the connector lock button to the UP position.
  3. Move the cable connector nose rearward until the key can be removed from the ignition.
  4. Push the lock button down.
  5. Install the cable into the clips to provide the correct routing.
what about the steering column key cylinder lock solenoid control? this problem all started with a broken wire. none of the above conditions are not met from steps 1-6.
not really understanding the cable adjustment procedure however. steps 9-12- which end? cable connector lock UP position?
how does the the steering column cover come off?
You do not have to mess with the steering column end to adjust the cable. Adjustments are made at the shifter end of the cable. At arrow 1, pry up on the lock tab. Grab cablle housing at arrow 2 and pull cable housing all the way forward. As you try to turn key back to Lock position, slide cable housing back towards shifter. When key releases and turns back, press lock tab (arrow 1) back down.

graphic

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

graphic

ok, Ill get back to you
Let me know how things go.
where is arrow 1, under the carpet? cause otherwise my shifter mechanism does not look like your diagram. nothing can be pried up without breaking the bracket that holds the cable housing, plus it doesnt appear to be a cable at all, it looks like a rod that moves when you shift.
Do you have two of these coming out of the front of the shifter? One should move all the time when shifter is moved and the other should move only when going into and out of Park position.
no, there is only one. as I stated previously, the car has a steering column key cylinder lock solenoid control, powered by the harness on the shifter, which is where my problem started, with a broken wire. where is the steering column key cylinder lock solenoid control?
Just to make sure I am looking up the correct information, you have a 2006 Chevy Impala 3.9. Is this correct?
Yes,that is correct
The service manual is only showing the release cable, not a solenoid for this model. You do have a console mounted shifter, correct?
You are correct, but the shifter has an electrical connection for both the shift solenoid and the lock solenoid. I replaced the harness for this connection, there is a schematic on Aldata showing this. I don't have a problem with the shift solenoid
I have access to Alldata as well. They only show schematics for the shift interlock solenoid, not any schematics for the ignition lock.
Ok, well I've got it. Do you have a solution?
I will research the schematics and get back to you.
Do you have a solution/advice?
Do you have a Green/White wire coming out of the shifter harness? If so, test for power on this wire with the key ON and the shifter in Park. Let me know what you find.
Isn't the green/white to the shift solenoid? I think the lock cylinder solenoid is purple and white.
Test both and let me know If these wires are powered up with the key on and the trans in Park.
We're testing the harness, or the connector on the shifter?
Test at the harness on the shifter, yes. It may be easiest to backprobe the connector (go in through wire side of the connector). Do not unplug connector while testing.
can I test at the splice I made to attach the new harness?
Yes, that will be fine.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician