Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 Chevy Tahoe: V8..engine code..knock sensor..passenger side

Customer Question
My 2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L...
My 2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8 has a slight delay when I start it. The engine code was for a knock sensor (passenger side). It appears that a bad knock sensor will cause this delay from what I have read.

How difficult is it to change? Where is it located? The autozone computer said it was located behind the passenger front tire on engine?

Can you tell me how easy/hard it is to change myself and send me the instructions for my model year!

Thanx
Justin
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/3/2011
Chevy Mechanic: David H, GM master certified replied 6 years ago
David H
David H, GM master certified
On the 5.3 liter engine there are 2 knock sensors under the intake manifold.The intake manifold has to be removed to replace the knock sensors.The intake gaskets also need to be replaced after removal.The knock sensors on this engine tend to get wet causing failure.When the engine is washed the water goes under the front of the intake manifold damaging the knock sensors.To prevent this the foam needs to be removed from the intake manifold as it holds water.Then a bead of silicon is put around the knock sensors to prevent water intrusion.
can u send me a link with instructions and pics to do this please

Here are the intake manifold removal procedures.

Important: The intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail, and injectors may be removed as an assembly. If not servicing the individual components, remove the manifold as a complete assembly.

Object Number: 600833

1. Remove the engine sight shield and retainer.
2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
3. Disconnect the cruise control cable from the throttle blade stud.
4. Remove the cruise control cable from the bracket.

Object Number: 389031

5. Remove the accelerator control cable from the throttle blade.
6. Remove the accelerator control cable from the bracket.

Object Number: 679597

7. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Main ignition coil harness (2).
Fuel injectors (3)
8. Disconnect the wiring harness clips (1) from the fuel rail.

Object Number: 679598

9. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Main ignition coil harness (1)
Fuel injectors (3)
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve (4)
10. Disconnect the harness clips (2) from the fuel rail.

Object Number: 679510

11. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (1)
Knock sensor (2)
12. Remove the knock sensor harness electrical connector from the intake manifold.
13. Set the electrical harness aside.

Object Number: 389028

14. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Throttle position (TP) sensor, if equipped
Electronic throttle control (ETC) motor, if equipped
Idle air control (IAC) valve

Object Number: 663672

15. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
Purge solenoid (1)
Generator (3)
16. Remove the wiring harness bracket nut.
17. Remove the harness bracket from the stud.
18. Reposition the engine wiring harness.

Object Number: 220621

19. Reposition the coolant air bleed hose at the throttle body.
20. Remove the coolant air bleed hose from the throttle body.

Object Number: 659465

21. Reposition the radiator vent inlet hose clamp at the throttle body.
22. Remove the radiator vent inlet hose from the throttle body.

Object Number: 647795

23. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose from the throttle body and rocker arm cover.

Object Number: 647793

24. Remove the PCV hose (with valve) from the intake manifold and rocker arm cover.

Object Number: 679527

25. Remove the following EGR pipe bolts:
Intake manifold (1)
Cylinder head (2)
Exhaust manifold (3)
26. Remove the EGR pipe (with valve).
27. Remove the EGR pipe gasket from the exhaust manifold.

Object Number: 382483

28. If equipped, remove the vacuum brake booster hose from the rear of the intake manifold.

Object Number: 372717

29. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) purge solenoid vent tube by performing the following:
29.1Remove the EVAP tube end (2) from the solenoid (1).
29.2Squeeze the EVAP pipe quick connect fitting (3) retainer together.
29.3Remove the EVAP tube end (3) from the vapor pipe.
30. Disconnect the fuel line quick connect fittings.

Object Number: 642285

31. Remove the intake manifold bolts.
32. Remove the intake manifold.

Object Number: 492770

33. Remove the intake manifold gaskets (1) from the intake manifold.
34. Discard the old intake manifold gaskets.
35. Clean the gasket surfaces of the EGR pipe and the exhaust manifold.
.

Object Number: 260159

37. If replacement of the intake manifold is required, remove the MAP sensor (1).

Object Number: 492765

38. If replacement of the intake manifold is required, remove the accelerator control cable bracket bolts (1) and bracket (2).

Object Number: 389993

39. If replacement of the intake manifold is required, remove the EVAP solenoid bolt (2), solenoid (3) and isolator (1).
David H
David H, GM master certified
David H
David H
David H, GM master certified