Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet HHR LS want is p0014 code on a 06 hhr

Customer Question
want is p0014 code on...
want is p0014 code on a 06 hhr
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/22/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. This usually means oil is low or exhaust cam actuator has failed. Check and verify that the engine oil has been in for at least 100 miles. If not, drive vehicle with the new oil for at least 100 miles to allow the fresh detergent a chance to "unstick" a possible sticking solenoid or actuator. Remove the exhaust cam actuator solenoid from the cylinder head. Inspect the solenoid screens to be present and without damage. Verify that engine oil pressure is 30-70 PSI at 1000 RPM, engine at operating temperature.

P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance
Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Check the CMP actuator valve assembly for debris on the screens or clogging the port, missing or torn screens and oil seepage at the solenoid connector
  • Check the engine oil level and the oil viscosity
  • Check for excessive timing play
  • CMP actuator connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
  • CMP actuator has failed (it may not be installed correctly)
  • ECM has failed
Engine speed more than 1, 350 rpm; CMP actuator enabled, system voltage more than 11.0v,and the ECM detected that the difference between the desired and the actual Exhaust CMP actuator angle was more than 6 degrees. The Camshaft Position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated to change the angle of the camshaft relative to Crankshaft Position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The ECM sends a pulsewidth modulated (12v) signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The ECM increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation. The resistance of the CMP actuator is 8-12 ohms at 68ºF.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
what is code p0014 mean and what do i look for?
This usually means oil is low or exhaust cam actuator has failed. Check and verify that the engine oil has been in for at least 100 miles. If not, drive vehicle with the new oil for at least 100 miles to allow the fresh detergent a chance to "unstick" a possible sticking solenoid or actuator. Remove the exhaust cam actuator solenoid from the cylinder head. Inspect the solenoid screens to be present and without damage. Verify that engine oil pressure is 30-70 PSI at 1000 RPM, engine at operating temperature.

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Check for excessive timing play
  • ECM has failed

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
whereis this sensor located?
Here are replacement instructions.

http://db.tt/43b0tjwo
Its about a $150 part and 1.6 hour job at shop so you will be spending around $350 to have it replaced at shop. Thanks.
Dan, Technician