Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1994 Chevy: pickup, 350 TBI V8, auto trans..rebuilt..torque converter

I have a 1994 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup, 350 TBI V8, auto trans, 252,000 miles. The trans was removed, rebuilt and re-installed in the vehicle about 2 months ago. A new torque converter was put in at that time. Here's the issue: the torque converter does not always lock up. I could drive 10 miles up the highway and it will perform perfectly, crusing along at 70 mph and barely turning 2000 rpm. Nice. Then, I could turn around to come home and it won't lock up, 60 mph, 2200 rpm and really struggling. The problem appears to be completely sporadic, somedays it works great and other days not at all. I took the vehicle to a local repair shop and the tech there told me that his diaganostic tool was not able to 'communicate' with the trans. Anyone have any ideas where I might start looking to find this annoying problem? Other than this issue the truck is great. Thank you for your response.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

hi

i would think if it is turning 2200 at at 60 at the times .....i dont think it is the converter,,,i think it isnt going into 4th gear........are you sure it is in 4th gear when it is doing this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tim,

The trans does make all the shifts perfectly. No problem there. The trouble is with the TC not locking up.

DP

ok

you need a scanner that can read the computer here.......a good scanner will show if the computer is sending a signal to the tcc solenoid.......if the computer is sending the signal then the tcc solenoid is bad...[this is very possible,sometimes these may break down with heat when they go bad],,,if you arent getting a signal,the problem could be the brake switch or the computer itself..........you will need to have the scanner plugged up while you are driving it to test this

thanks

Electronic Component Locations
4L60-E (M30) Automatic Transmission
icon_note_blank.gif