Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

1999 chevy: towing..2wd, 5.3 v8 vortex and i..suspension

what is the towing capacity of the 1999 chevy silverado extended cab, 2wd, 5.3 v8 vortex and i added an extra leaf spring for suspension. looking at buy a bigger camper and need to know thw max capacity i can pull. it has the factory tow package on it

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you. I am working with your question now and will return shortly

Customer:

hello im eric. do you need any other information

Tracer :

The specifications for the 1500, 2wd, 5.3 are 8200lbs max tow weight. the leaf springs will help with the etra tongue weight but dont add to helping the overall towing weight as the engine/trans setup can only handle a certain limit. I would say you are safe up to the 8500 +/- range if? you are not doing real long hauls up steep mountains. flatter roads are much easier

Customer:

would it also lower the towing weight with high milage i am pushing 230000 on mine

Tracer :

Good question . It only lowers your max limit if? the trans is weak. If you feel the truck is solid, no trans problems, then to help is to flush trans, add Lucas trans additive and maybe optional external trans cooler. Flat rodas, older engine, drive easy and should be ok at the 82oo. if you have trans concerns, then that limit should be dropped some. hard to say to what

Customer:

thank you very much.