Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy tahoe z71: the tire monitoring system after changing tires

Customer Question
how do I reset the...
how do I reset the tire monitoring system after changing tires on a 07 chevy tahoe z71?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/26/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Alternate Keyless Entry Transmitter or DIC Learn Enable Method

1. Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
  2. On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
    On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
  3. Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:
  4. Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
    Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
  5. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
  6. 3.1. Right front
    3.2. Right rear
    3.3. Left rear
  7. When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.
  8. Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Above has been tried multiple times without success by a GM certified mechanic using both methods for learning the pressure. My mechanic also drives the same make and model and is having the same problem. He informed me today that he has bought a special device to attempt to fix it. He's had no other problems with this on any other Tahoes except his and mine. Any further thoughts?
I have also used the GM TPMS tool and I have had success with both methods. Are you getting the truck to enter relearn mode, i.e. is the horn honking when you enter learn mode?
Yes, it enters relearn mode, just can't get the all the beeps necessary before it exits relearn mode. We've deflated the tires all the way down attempting to get it to reset.
OK, so talk to me about what's going on. It enters relearn mode, you get a horn honk, you go to LF wheel and deflate it, and then what? Do you get a honk on some tires, but not others?
Yes, some tires work and we get the honk and we move to the next in sequence but then can't get it to work and honk before it finally just times out or something and exits the learn mode with a warning light on the instrument panel saying check tire pressure monitoring system and when you toggle throug the options on the information panel it shows all tire pressures without numbers for any.
Does it always stop working on the same tire? Meaning, it goes fine until you get to the RR wheel, for example, then you can't get it to do anything else? Or is it a different tire every time?

different tire every time

hit the wrong button. Accepted while trying to reply. Hope we're still chatting.

we're still chatting.

This sounds like something that's going to require more in depth diagnostics. A factory scan tool will help get to the bottom of it, there may be a problem with the liftgate module (which controls the TPMS system), and the module may need to be replaced or the antenna modified. At any rate, this is a repair that is best left to the dealer technician, since the lift gate module requires dealer reprogramming if it needs to be replaced.

ok, thanks for all the help. I might retry the deflation/inflation method again myself this weekend one last time.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician