Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet HHR LT the traction control light comes on when

Customer Question
the traction control light comes...
the traction control light comes on when it is over 94 outside. There was an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold for about 6 months and then this starting happening.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/25/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Jettadan1, Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician

Jettadan1 :

Welcome to JA. We are working on a fast accurate answer. Your valuable time is very important to me. But a great answer has to well thought out. The exhaust leak is seprate from the traction control

Jettadan1 :

most likely you have a bad speed sensor.

Jettadan1 :

but to find out which one it is you have to have the hhr's abs traction control module scanned.

Jettadan1 :

and this will tell you if its is a speed sensor and which wheel it is coming from or if it is a more serious issue.

Customer:

what is the sensor on the back side of the transmission

Jettadan1 :

there are out put speed sensors and other sensors back there.

Jettadan1 :

but your traction would be read from wheels

Jettadan1 :

the one on the tranny is for tach and speedo and such

Customer:

there is oil residue on the left side of tranny. could this affect sensor

Jettadan1 :

No

Jettadan1 :

a little is normal.

Jettadan1 :

as long as its not dripping

Customer:

what causes this problem

Jettadan1 :

if it gets on one of the electrical connections it can cause false readings

Jettadan1 :

it can be dirt in the rotor or a loose connection to sensor or a bad sensor its self.

Customer:

can the sensors be cleaned

Jettadan1 :

it has to read all the spaces in the rotor and its magnetic. and every time a metal piece goes by it it reads it and compares it to other wheels readings and if there is a difference then it will stop it from spinning

Jettadan1 :

yes they can if thats the issue

Jettadan1 :

you can use electrical cleaner and compressed air and they will clean right up if would be good to get rust out of rotors also and that messy

Jettadan1 :

I use compressed air and spray it and run away lol

Jettadan1 :

once the cloud of rust dust goes down i go back

Customer:

would this cause trans to shift hard when tc light is on

Jettadan1 :

if oil is in connection on tranny and maybe if speed sensors on wheels had issues yes.

Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Jettadan1
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician