Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

A 98 Chev S-10 2.2 4 cyl that died suddenly and wont restart..coil

Customer Question
Any ideas on a 98...
Any ideas on a 98 Chev S-10 2.2 4 cyl that died suddenly and won't restart? Fuel is good past the filter, with strong pressure. Spark @ coil and plugs. Codes P0300 and P0342 on scanner. Replaced both camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. Installed new plugs Won't try to run, even with starting fluid. Seems electrical, but where?

Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/17/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Super Mechanic, Master technician replied 6 years ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. About your vehicle.

Have you checked the compression?

Yes, OK. I don't have the numbers in front of me. New head about 15K ago. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I've been focused (maybe too much) on electrical.
They would sometimes break the timing chains, that's why I had asked about the compression. They will also just spin in that case.

So, if the plugs are not fouled, and it has spark and compression and still won't start with ether, (starting fluid) that doesn't leave a heck of a lot of things it could be. Maybe the cat is clogged?

It did not pass smog test last year, and local emissions-approved shop replaced EGR valve. Still did not pass, but waived once minimum $ amount was spent. I will take a look at the converter tonight after work. It's a good suggestion I hadn't considered.
The 2.2 normally starts right up with ether, just so long as there is spark and compression. I have that engine in my 01 Chevy S-10. I really like it now with the new timing chain in there, and no rattling. But as long as there is spark at the plugs, (at the right time) and the plugs are not wet and you have compression it should start with the ether. Unless the exhaust is really clogged up bad. You could take the pipe off to see if it starts then.
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician