Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My 2006 duramax has excessive vibration at idle along..rpm..mi

Customer Question
My 2006 duramax has excessive...
My 2006 duramax has excessive vibration at idle along with a noise at 1300 rpm,What has created this and have you heard of this from others? I had a similar problem @1500 rpm when the truck was only a month old. That was corrected but took two tries,second time at 6000 mi. Currently the truck has only 52000 well cared for miles.The viration at idle resonates throughout the body from bumper to bumper.Something has changed and it really concerns me. Please advise with a solution.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 4 days by:
8/21/2011
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 6 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Hello jacustomer, can you give me a description of the noise?
At 1300rpm only, the noise sounds like a higher pitch with a slight squeal to it. Thinking it could be something in the turbo or possibly a harmonic balancer?What would explain all that body vibration, which is also felt in the brake pedal and throttle at idle?
I need a reply. What is with the delay.?
Okay, the most common causes of this is either a bad balancer or loose torque converter to flywheel bolts. It is common for these bolts to come posse and even crack the flywheel and cause this noise. You need to remove the flywheel cover and check these bolts and the flywheel.

If this is the case, generally how many hours of labor would this take at a prof. shop and shouldor would this repair be covered under a extended warranty I bought . Thanks

The balancer is about 1 hour of labor and the flywheel is about 4 hours of labor. As for the warranty this should be covered. If you need more help let me know.
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
I need a little more advise since i have my duramax at the dealership I bought it from. First was that a good choice because they are trying to tell me that the vibration is normal( I know damn well that it is not) and that the high pitch squeal does not accure frequent enough to recognize a problem. They say they have spent 3hrs. on troubleshooting already.I don't believe they really care to find the problem.I mentioned to service writer to look at flywheel boltsand torque converter as well as balancer but that was never written down or conveyed to technication so who knows what they even looked at.What is a balancer and what does it actually do? I'm a builder not a mechanic. Please reply ASAP since I have an appt. in the a.m.to meet with the diesel tech guru about all his vast knowledge and wisdom on the subject. I already have 450.00 invested with no answers. I need them to find it and fix it so things are back to normal.Thanks again
The balaner is just used to absorb and vibration coming from the crank shaft. I woudl also check the engine mounts as they may also be causing this.
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician