Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet K1500 4x4 88 Chevy 1500 350TBI Runs then dies.

Customer Question
88 Chevy 1500 350TBI...
88 Chevy 1500 350TBI Runs then dies. Help?

My truck will start and run great cold. Once it starts to warm up it will often but not always die. If you drive it down the road it will run fine but at when slowing to idle it dies. It can be hard to get started again. If it won't start quickly and I am in the way of traffic I have used starting fluid and that normally will get it started and then I have to power brake it home, keeping the RPMS high. I will include a list of parts that I have tried and replaced.

My truck has been doing this on and off for over a year and half now. It was fairly intermittent before but seems to have become more frequent lately. I have taken it to a local shop and had them check it out but still the problem persists. Sometimes it will act as though it is fixed and run ok for a month or so but so far the problem comes back.

First there are no error codes. I only get error 12 from the ECM
The shop I took it to rebuilt the TBI, so the injectors and diaphram look good,
Recently I have replaced. A friend had some parts he pulled off a working 350tbi and I have used some of those to try to solve this problem.
Checked the distributor is wired correct.
Battery is new
Starter is new because of this problem... crank crank crank...
Oil looks good needs ~ 1/2qt. No sign of antifreeze ect...
Ignition coil new
IAC(idle actuator) new
Coilent Sensor for the ECM
ESC(knocksensor) used
Checked the MAP sensor using a multi-meter it appeared to be working normal
Changed out the ECM with a spare. Problem seemed to be fixed last night. but this morning the truck stalled again. Ran for miles last night. Ran for a block this morning. Back to square one.

Problem really seems heat related............

THank you in advance for your assistance,
MB
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/13/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

to fix this i think we will need to replace a couple of things..first,,replace the ignition module,these can do this with heat sometimes,and,when they do this,testing it will not help you..so replace this first,,,if you still have the problem,the pick-up coil may be bad[either of these can do this with heat],,if this is the case,you may want to replace the compete distributer with a new rebuilt unit,sense the distributer will need to come out and apart to replace the pick -up....i am fairly sure your problem is in one of this parts,but,sense it is intermediate,testing them isn't going to help........what is going on,is,t sounds as if it is loosing injector pulse,,,even though it may have a spark on the plugs,the injectors may not be firring......

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Typical Distributor Components

Tim's Auto Repair
I forgot to mention I also replace the fuel pump. I checked the ignition module. It looks like the shop changed that as well (thermal compound still looks fresh and module looks new) Trying a second one anyways. Will update as I find out more. Thanks,MB

yes,,it is common to get a bad new one..

let me know

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic