Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Maluibu LT1 2008 Malibu- auxiliary brake lights

Customer Question
2008 Malibu- auxiliary brake lights...
2008 Malibu- auxiliary brake lights in rear window not working. Is there a seperate fuse for them ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/11/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 6 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

The center brake light has its own fuse in the underhood fuse panel. It is fuse #47 and is labeled STOP LP. If the fuse is okay, try swapping the STOP LP relay (#49) with one of the other relays in the fuse panel. If this still does not work then place your hand on the relay and see if the relay clicks when the brake pedal is depressed. (have someone else press the brake pedal). If the relay wil not click then the problem is in the BCM ( body control module )

graphic
Checked fuse, swapped #49. Relay clicks. Still no aux brake lights
Use a test light or voltmeter to test for power at the stop lamp fuse. Let me know what you find.
kk On 20 volt DC scale get about 0.3 which tapers to zero in a couple seconds.l
The problem then is no power to this fuse. Check for power at fuse #26 (STRTR). If this fuse has power then the problem is in the fuse panel itself. The STRTR fuse and STOP LP fuse are powered by the same source. You will need to open up the fuse panel and repair the bad connection to the STOP LP fuse or replace the fuse panel.
jjSTRTR fuse was hard to get out, fuse continuity is OK but now the starter will not work. probably the fuse panel. Not confortable trying to repair the fuse pnnel.
The fuse panel will then need to be replaced.
Thanks for the info. I made a mistake in reading #47 fuse. Meter was set on continuity insted of voltatge at first,. Meter probe got hot and must have tripped relay. Starter works this morning so relay must have re-set. Power is also present at fuse # XXXXX I think the problem is between the fuse and the light. What do you think ?
Since you have power at the fuse and the relay clicks, then yes, the problem is between the relay and the brake light. Before digging into the wiring, test for power at the brake light itself while the brake pedal is depressed.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Guess what. The upper brake light is now working. Guess re-setting of the relay or reseating the start fuse fixed the problem.
Must have been a loose connection there somewhere. Glad it is working now for you. Thank you for using justanswer.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician