Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Chevy uplander: a problem with stalling..70 mph

My chevy uplander has a problem with stalling. I can be going 70 mph and it is like the engine just shuts off very briefly. The radio will also shut off and come back on. This last time I noticed a "service RBS system" light come on. It has also stalled and has to be restarted when slowing down coming to a stop light. They did the clean fuel system service because the first time I brought it in the computer identified that as an issue but it did not solve the problem. The computer did not identify fuel system as a problem the second time I brough it in. Unfortunately the times I brought it to the dealer it didn't happen. It was in an accident before I bought it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

I think what you saw was "service ABS system" is that correct?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The service ABS seems more likely. I have not heard of an RBS system. I saw it very quickly so it could have been an A instead of an R.

Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.

Based on your info, my experience and some research I did on similar complaints, I think you problem is going to to be a general electrical problem like the battery or a problem in the harness due to the previous accident possibly.

It sounds like you are losing power momentarily to the pcm or it is experiencing voltage fluctuations, You could start by testing and or replacing the battery as a battery with a bad cell can cause odd problems and affect the pcm with voltage fluctuations. If the battery is the original I would go ahead and replace it as it is getting close anyway and sometimes a batery with a bad cell will test good and lead to misdiagnosis due to the false belief the battery is good.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you explain what you mean by "the harness" and what pcm stands for.
Expert:  Neal replied 6 years ago.
By the harness I mean the main wire bundles between the PCM (which is the trucks computer) and the engine and other components.