Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How and how difficult is it to replace ignition switch in 09 HHR?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/3/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 6 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

Ignition Switch is fairly easy, the Ignition Lock Cylinder (key) is a little more difficult

Here is Chevrolet procedures for both

click links below

REMOVE IGNITION SWITCH

REPLACE KEY CYLINDER

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid

Any response about the dash warning lights in regards XXXXX XXXXX key switch?

??

There was nothing posted about that

Your question states:

Please expand on your added info............

featured content

Replace ignition switch explained

If your car doesn’t start when you turn the key, it could mean that you need to replace the ignition switch. As a part to replace, ignition switches are on the difficult side of the spectrum, so don’t feel bad if you choose to have a mechanic handle the repair for you.

Studying your owner’s manual

While the general steps of this process are the same, the specific construction details may vary on your vehicle. It will be crucial to read your owner’s manual and familiarize yourself with the requirements of your car before you start working on this project. 

In some cars, the ignition cylinder is welded to the steering column. If it is welded in, you'll need to take the car to a mechanic to get it replaced.

It's also worth pointing out that this only works for keyed ignitions. Push button or keyless ignitions require a visit to an ASE mechanic with the correct equipment.

Replacing the ignition switch

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the ignition switch cylinder is located inside the steering column, since that is where you start the car. Replacing the switch will require the disassembly of the steering column to access the mechanism.

Note: To avoid the risk of electrical shock, you'll need to disconnect the battery while you are working on the ignition. 

Removing the steering column cover

The steering column is protected by two plastic covers held on by a few bolts. Depending upon the make and model of your car, you may need to remove the windshield wiper and turn signal handles or even the steering wheel to remove these covers.
  1. Identify the two parts of the plastic cover
  2. Remove the plastic caps to expose the bolts holding the covers
  3. Unscrew the bolts
  4. Unlock the steering wheel and turn it upwards, or remove it, to free up the covers
  5. Remove the covers to expose the steering column and the ignition lock cylinder

Disconnecting the ignition switch

If you have a removable ignition cylinder, it's now time to take it out.
  1. Remove the plastic cover on the ignition cylinder by removing the screw holding it in place
  2. Put the key into the ignition
  3. Turn the key until it exposes a small metal pin near the base of the cylinder
  4. Press the pin with a small screwdriver to unlock the ignition switch
  5. Loosen the two screws holding the cylinder into the lock assembly
  6. Remove the faulty cylinder

At this point, you're ready to install the new ignition switch cylinder.

Installing the ignition cylinder

The installation of the new cylinder is the reverse of the removal process. 
  1. Align the new cylinder in the lock assembly
  2. Tighten the screws
  3. Set the pin according to the direction in your owner’s manual
  4. Attach the ignition cylinder to the steering column
  5. Replace the plastic cover and tighten the screw

Test the key in the new ignition cylinder and make sure it can turn to all positions before reassembling the steering column. If it functions properly, replace the steering wheel covers and reconnect the battery.

If you had an error code, you may need to use a diagnostics scanner to reset the codes. The error code may prevent the engine from starting, even if the repair was done correctly.

Knowing how to replace ignition switches can help save you the expense of a mechanic, even if it is a difficult task to undertake.
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics