Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD how would I replace a waterpump

Customer Question
how would I replace a...
how would I replace a waterpump on my 2004 chevy duramax
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/8/2011
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This takes abit, can I ask first why you need to change it?

Customer:

Whenever I shut my engine off, antifreeze spills out in puddles under the fan on the ground

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, YOu will need to take the fan clutch off, fans shroud then thermostat housing. THe pump is off to the side and the black pipe from the thermostats gos into it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

To add to it you need to remove the starter so you can hold the flywheel and take the harmonic balancer off.

Customer:

I have a question should I buy a dealer item or can I purchase it at either napa or carquest

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would buy AC Delco, be it at a dealer or the other,

Customer:

Is there enough clearance to pull it out without having to pull out the radiator or will that have to come out as well

GM Tech (Cam) :

the radiator can stay in.

Customer:

I'm probably going to need a special too to remove the harmonic balancer right

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, just a 1 7/16 socket, 12 point.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Holding the flywheel will be the pain

Customer:

What about the serpentine belt does that come off

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, a 1/2 ratchet in the tensioner then turn it to release spring pressure.

Customer:

I was told that a bolt hols the engine as well or a motor mount bolt needs to come off as well is that true

GM Tech (Cam) :

Nope, not at all true,.

Customer:

i have some mechanic experience how long would it take to do the job do you think

GM Tech (Cam) :

4-6 hours.

Customer:

Ok so do I need to drain the antfreeze as well or not

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, you do.

Customer:

Let me run this by you 1 more time Remove the srepentine belt with half inch ratchet, shroud, starter, and clutch fan,antfreeze,harmonic balancer to get to the water pump. Preferably ac delco right replace thermostat as well.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Thermostats, yes.

Customer:

also There are 2 o rings do I use those instead of the permatex or will I also use that

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes, use the proper seals

Customer:

I think thats all I need I really appreciate your words of wisdom. Is ther anything else you can think of ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Not at the moment.

Customer:

OH what type of thermostat do you recomend

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ac Delco's again, and they are different so watch how they come out .

Customer:

well thanx again

GM Tech (Cam) :

My pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician