Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Camaro: me instructions on how to change the crankshaft sensor..v6

Customer Question
Can u give me instructions...
Can u give me instructions on how to change the crankshaft sensor on my camaro 3800 v6?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/6/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 6 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this should help you

thanks

GM Camaro/Firebird 1993-1998

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor

• TESTING
  • REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Print

The CKP sensor provides a signal through the ignition module which the PCM uses as a reference to calculate RPM and crankshaft position.

TESTING

The best method to test this sensor is with the use of an oscilloscope.

3.8L Engine

See Figure 1

1. Visually check the connector, making sure it is connected properly and all of the terminals are straight, tight and free of corrosion.
  2. With the ignition in the ON position, check the sensor voltage using an oscilloscope. When the starter is briefly operated a square wave pattern, varying between 0-12 volts and providing 3 pulses per crankshaft revolution should be seen at terminal V. The same signal providing 18 pulses per crankshaft revolution should be seen at terminal A. If voltage is within specification, the sensor is functional.

FIG : Fig. 1: Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor circuit-3.8L engine

image

1. If the voltage falls out of range, use a DVOM to check terminal C for battery positive (B+). If battery positive (B+) is not present, check the circuit continuity and repair as necessary.
  2. If battery positive (B+) is found at terminal C, check the terminal D for proper ground. If ground is not present, check the circuit for continuity and repair as necessary.
  3. If the sensor and circuits are functional, the PCM may be faulty.

5.7L Engine

See Figure 2

2. If a Tech 1® or equivalent scan tool is available, scan the CKP or RPM parameter while cranking the engine. If signals are indicated, the CKP sensor is functioning properly.
  3. If the scan tool is not available, use a voltmeter set to the DC voltage range to test the sensor.
  4. Backprobe the sensor connector and check for system voltage at terminal D and ground at terminal C.

FIG : Fig. 2: Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor circuit-5.7L engine

image

1. Crank the engine over slowly while backprobing the crankshaft sensor connector terminal A and ground. This is the 18X signal line. The voltage reading should vary between 0 volts and system voltage (usually 8-12 volts) 18 times per crankshaft revolution.
  2. Crank the engine over slowly while backprobing the crankshaft sensor connector terminal B and ground. This is the 3X signal line. The voltage reading should vary between 0 volts and system voltage (usually 8-12 volts) 3 times per crankshaft revolution.
  3. If this varying voltage is not seen, check circuits for continuity and repair as necessary.
  4. If the sensor and circuits are functional, the PCM may be faulty.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

3.8L Engine

See Figures 3 and 4

1. Be sure the ignition is in the OFF or LOCK position, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the serpentine belt from the crankshaft pulley.
  3. Remove the crankshaft balancer.
  4. Remove the fuel pump/engine oil pressure sensor wire harness retainer clip from the shield.
  5. Detach the electrical connector from the crankshaft position sensor.
  6. Remove the crankshaft position sensor shield and studs, then remove the crankshaft position sensor from the engine front cover. Inspect the sensor O-ring for wear, cracks or damage and replace if necessary.

FIG : Fig. 3: Exploded view of the crankshaft position sensor shield-3.8L engine

image

FIG : Fig. 4: The crankshaft position sensor on the 3.8L engine is secured with two studs

image

To install:

1. Lubricate the sensor O-ring with clean engine oil. Position the sensor to the engine front cover and install the retaining studs. Tighten the studs to 16 ft. lbs. (20 Nm), plus an additional 40 degree turn.
  2. Install the crankshaft position sensor shield.
  3. Attach the electrical connector to the crankshaft position sensor.
  4. Fasten the fuel pump/engine oil pressure sensor wire harness retainer clip to the shield.
  5. Install the crankshaft balancer.
  6. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

the bolt on the crankshaft pulley looks like it needs about a 1" socket right? do I need a press to get it off? it just spins with the wrench when I turn it.

what spins?

i thing it is a 22-24mm...you will need a wheel puller to remove the crankshaft pulley.these tools may be rented at your local parts store

this may help you

thanks

GM Camaro/Firebird 1993-1998

Crankshaft Damper (Balancer)

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

3.8L Engine

See Figure 3

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the serpentine drive belt.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Remove the starter motor.
  5. Remove the transmission braces.
  6. Remove the transmission cover pan.
  7. Hold the flywheel using tool J 37096 or equivalent holding tool.
  8. Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt/screw.
  9. Remove the crankshaft balancer using tool J 38197. Use 1 / 4 in. bolts to attach to the pulley and screw in 1 / 4 in.

FIG : Fig. 3: Exploded view of the crankshaft balancer mounting - 3.8L engine

image

The crankshaft balancer is serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to separate the pulley from the balancer hub.

To install:

1. Position the crankshaft balancer and secure with the retaining bolt/screw. Tighten to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm) plus an additional 76 degrees using tool J 36660 or equivalent torque angle meter.
  2. Install the transmission cover pan and the braces.
  3. Install the starter motor.
  4. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
Tim's Auto Repair
do i actualy have to do all that crap w the flywheel or can i just clamp or put a shim to hold it or something like that?

well

if you what to get it loose,,a good way to do this is with and air impact wrench.....other than this,,,you will need to hold it

thanks

Okay I got it off. I have everything setup As shown in fig 3. Do the crankshaft pulley press Screws fit in a certain way? There r not flush threaded holes for them to bolt into, just those oval holes

i don't really know what you are asking here.....but

are you talking about for the puller?

it doesnt mater how deep they go......

if you are talking about installing.....when the pulley is on the key way it is right

yes the puller.... the three bolts do not thread into anything at all !
ok..you may need to use a hook puller on this one...sometimes on the 3.8 you can get under the cap,and knock the pulley off,it may not be too tight
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i suspected but the scematics showed the 3 arm puller so i wasnt sure, thanks
you are welcome
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic