Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2009 malibu: 60k mileage.Jerks and (..intermittently..accelerating

Customer Question

2009 malibu with 60k mileage.
Jerks and (seems like misfiring) intermittently. sometimes it happens when stopped at traffic light, at times when accelerating from driving at a constant speed and sometimes feel the jerking when driving at a constant speed(regardless of the speed at which it is being driven.
Please advise on any probable cause.
thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

Tracer :

I can understand the term "jerking" when driving but can you explain different the feel at idle? does it feel like engine is say skipping?kind of like running on 5 cylinders and not 6? or engine vibration at idle sometimes?

Customer:

it feels like the engine is skipping and can feel the vibration

Tracer :

Thanks. Has the check engine light come on at anytime? have you at anytime recently say had bad rain or powerwashed engine?

Customer:

No , the check engine light never came on.

Customer:

no powerwash but we had some heavy rain recently

Tracer :

Thanks. let me gather and type up some info for you. back shortly

Tracer :

On top of the engine are 4 coils. each coil is on top of each plug. Without the computer detecting the misfire , which at some point it may, it will then set a code saying what cylinder is missing. Without this,, I am thinking a coil is maybe wet or failing. I would remove each coil, look close for dampness, water or any hot spots you may see in the rubber boot at end of each coil. It is/was rather common for coils to fail. Thinking rain etc, you may? have one that is still damp and you can dry off with spray silicon etc.. You can also unplug each coil with engine running at idle, one at a time, and see if when you unplug one the miss stays the same. If so.. this would be the coil or cylinder with problem./ IF you unplug a good working coil, the engine will miss much worse/Obviously you can only do this test with the miss present. removing the coils from the top of engine is very easy. I would inspect each, dry off, and maybe move them around to a different spot. they are all the same.

Full Size Image