Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

99 S10: Chev..2.2 timing chain broke..pulling..timing marks

Customer Question
Chev 99 S10 2.2 timing...
Chev 99 S10 2.2 timing chain broke, replaced it just like the book shows, pulled head and had it checked, motor is pulling air backwards need info thanks mark. timing marks are in line.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/22/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 6 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

The 2.2 liter engine is supposedly not an interference engine. I say supposedly because every one of these engines that I have seen that have broken a timing chain while running have bent the valves due to contact with the pistons. Sounds like you have some bent valves as well. If the timing marks are indeed lined up then do a compression test. You should have 120 psi or more on all cylinders. If you do not, then the valves have been damaged and the head will have to come off to replace the valves.
I pulled the head and had it pressure tested and new valve stem guides put in and it checked out ok, pistons had no contact damaged, The Timing chain pulleys are just like the ones that came off of it, the cam pulley has a hole in it that lines up with the tabs on the tensioner and the dot on the crank, It is pulling air into the tail pipe on all cylinders.
Double check timing gear alignment, should look like the picture below. There are only two possibilities, either the timing chain is not lined up correctly, or the valves are not properly sealing. You can back off all the rocker arms so that none of the valves are open and pressurize each cylinder through the spark plug hole. If there is any air leakage through the intake or through the exhaust, this would indicate a leaking valve.

graphic
Thanks Dave you helped me find out whats going on with this 2.2.I dolt have clearance between some of the valves to the rocker arm, I don't think the valves are bent and push rods are new, I also went back to old push rod in to check size, I'm rotating the motor and and when the lifter is down the valve is still open. The shop did mill the head .006 but the valve is down about a 1/8", could it be the lifters or can the valve be cut down. thanks again your help has been great.
Sometimes the lifters will overfill and hold the valves open, usually cranking the starter over for a while will correct this condition. If the machine shop only took off .006 and you are using a standard thickness head gasket then there should be no problem with pushrod length. You can also try backing off on the rocker arms a little to get compression back, start the engine and then tighten the rocker arms.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician