Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet 2005 chevy uplander, awd. at start up dash message

2005 chevy uplander, awd. at...
2005 chevy uplander, awd. at start up dash message comes on then off 2 seconds later indicating all- wheel drive disabled. what exactly does that mean
5/2/2011
David H
David H, GM master certified
Was the vehicle driven with the spare tire?
not that i am aware. i realy dont think so, its a regular customer and we do all there tire work. we replaced hub, and that made abs work normal again, and everytime you accelerated the awd disabled light would come on. now after the hub job it just goes on at start up

There is an actuator solenoid in the lower right diff. housing that usually causes this problem.Here is a picture of the solenoid .Make sure all codes have been cleared.

Object Number: 630684  Size: SH

ok thanks you but can u tell, is that mesage teling me that it is not driving in awd? and if so wat axles are making vehicle go? is it stuck then inXXXXXwith fronts orXXXXXw rear axle driving?
When the AWD is disabled the vehicle is front wheel drive only,no rear torque applied.Make sure the vehicle is driven in a straight line for a mile or so after repairs or code clearing to turn off the AWD message.

1

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

2

Inspect for proper differential fluid level. Verify the fault is present.

Does the system operate normally?

--

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

3

1. Disconnect the differential clutch pump actuator check valve.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  3. Using a DMM, test the ignition 1 voltage circuit for proper voltage.

Does the voltage measure within the specified value?

9-14 V

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 7

4

1. Connect a test lamp between the ignition 1 voltage circuit and the ground circuit at the differential clutch pump actuator check valve.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 8

5

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  2. With the connector connected, connect a DMM in parallel to the control circuit. Set the DMM to read duty cycle.
  3. Important: The differential clutch pump actuator check valve duty cycle will initiate at 49-90 percent duty cycle for 3 seconds, then drop to 16-28 percent duty cycle. Every 30 seconds, the duty cycle will cycle up to 49-90 percent for 0.5 seconds, then back to 16-28 percent.

4. Start the engine.
  5. Observe AWD Duty Cycle on the DMM from the time of engine start.

Is the duty cycle functioning as described?

HI Range: 49-90%

LO Range: 16-28%

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 6

6

Test the axle actuator control circuit for the following conditions:

An open
A short to voltage
A short to ground

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 10

7

Locate and repair an open or short to ground in the ignition 1 voltage circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 11

--

8

Locate and repair an open in the ground circuit. Refer to Testing for Continuityand Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 11

--

9

Replace the differential clutch pump actuator check valve. Refer to Differential Clutch Pump Check Valve Replacement.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 11

--

10

Replace the PCM. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup, and programming.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 11

--

11

1. Use the scan tool in order to clear the faults.
  2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Disable Fault, as specified in the supporting text.

Does the fault set?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to All-Wheel Drive (AWD) System Functional Inspectionin Rear Drive Axle

with vehicle in air, axles hanging, at start up awd disabled indicator lights up then goes out. however wen put in gear both axles are turning. so if awd is disabled, will the message stay on? or no. im just trying to determine the relationship between the message and the actual functioning of the awd sytem. customer wants too know if her awd drive is working or not
When the message is illuminated the AWD system is inhibited by the PCM.When the message goes off the system will start working again.
David H
David H, GM master certified
thank you so much you have been very helpful, i have accepted your answer
Happy to have helped.Thank You for accepting.
David H
David H
David H, GM master certified