Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Keep blowing fuse that feeds back light dash. now rear

running light are out blinkers...
keep blowing fuse that feeds back light dash. now rear running light are out blinkers work front light on but no rear running lights fuse will blow. What else is on that circuit? i believe fuse number 9 marked 20a park lps
5/2/2011
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
This fuse powers all the dash and outside lights.
Does it pop straight away or after a bit?
The fuse blow straight away. The loss of rear running lights is new use to all rear lights. Found carbon on one prong on the headlight switch cleaned api have a new one on the way. The fuse in question runs dash lights running lights in rear. Turn signals work brakes lights work
Ok, under the brake booster is a flat connector for the rear lights. unplug that and see if a fuse pops again.
TO save on fuses, get a 194 bulb and straighten the wires out. put that in place of the fuse. When there is a dead short that will blow the fuse, it will be bright.
tryied that not sure got right connector but found two connectorsunder brake booster 4 fuse later nothing. I'm sure it adead short blow right away. as soon as i turn on headlight switch to turn on dash light fuse blows engine is off.
did you try the trick wtih the light?
What is your VIN please.
no not yet tired of this problem. but will try tomorrow.can their be a short i the instrument panel. don't understand why running light are out too. what did we isolate by un clipping the wires. their were three connectors under or very near the brake booster. tried each one separately
1GNEK13R0YR216557
2000 TAHOE Z71
OLD BODY STYLE
5.7L V8
4X4
The whole park light system feeds off that single swtich in the dash. I suspect with the load off that there is a shorted wire in the dash
TAKE THE PANEL OUT? WHY JUST THE LIGHTS? CAN A BURNT LIGHT CAUSE THIS ie back feed to the fuse box?
A shorted light can, but since you took that connector off, it eliminates the rear lights.
The panel around the clsuter and wheel pops off.
do you think it s light in the dash panel? what the next step can i by pass this circuit to get the running light to work and how do i do that. stuck still
Not sure if it is a light in the dash, but it is a short somewhere. There is a splice behind the dash that is where all these split off, take that apart and jumper each brach to see which is causing the short.
pulled dash out this weekend no dash lights are out nothing seems out of place. fuse #9 inside fuse box. pulled orange wire off light switch which is new now. and fuse does not blow. this orange wire goes from headlights switch to fuse # 9. Tried 194 blub works great but, I still don't know where the short is. do you have a wiring diagram from fuse box out ? I have no running lights at all front or back. No dash lights to main instruments. accessory light working. The orange wire comes off the top pin inside of head light switch.
If I can not find short is there a way to wire the running light and by pass the short so to speak.
is it still out?
god no have to drive the truck daily but getting better at taking it out. their is a steel plate behind the panel. can not see all wires going to back of dash.
graphic
Thanks, ***** ***** is ^c104 coming from fuse #( The read license plate works so does turn and brake signals. IS the power coming from the head light switch to fuse box? If i leave the 194 blub in there is power to all so I should be able to check with volt meter at rear of truck and front as well. Also i dont see a orange wire in this diagram.
Only one came through.
graphic
Great, need to study this more but where is S210 is the common to all lights that are out. and s122 What are P100's I now have two diagrams one from fuse 9 and c104 to rear lights. also i don't see where it goes to dash lights but if i can find the two sights S210 and S122 this should tell me something. and if i can bypass this problem with a seprate switch. What are your thoughts. This i think will really help. 0.8 one one side and 9 on other is amp draw? circle with b one left and a on right. is that the light? need really to look at this one paper again thanks if i can find the two spots.
P100 is the passthrough conenctor for the cab to the underhood.
S210 is the splice and it is in the main harness near the P100.
graphic
graphic
where s210 inside cab or in engine compartment.
In the cab. All the 100's are underhood, 200s in the dash area, 300s cab past the dash, 400-700 doors, and so on.
must be easy from your side. if you had been working on this, i would not be doing this. are they label in some way to know its s210?
No label, but you will see where many wires all meet in a black tape area.
It is around the area where the main harness runs out of the cab through that p100
well work on this this week get back with you. i hope with it fixed.
Ok, we will get it fixed.
Please be sure to come back and accept when done since that is my only compensation for my time helping you.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
it fixed blub inside left parking light.
thank you for all your help i have leared a lot about my truck.
tim
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician