Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Malibu 2000 malibu cooling fans not working

Customer Question

2000 malibu cooling fans not working
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Disconnect coolant temp sensor and see if fans come on, if so replace radiator cap. If they still dont come on verify water pump is working, radiator isnt clogged, then replace coolant temp sensor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

radiator has ben flushed, coolant sensor has been replaced and all fuses and relays have been checked. when the sensor is disconnected fans will run. they wil lnot come on when the ac is turned on and sensor is connected.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Replace the radiator cap and see if that helps, its a simple thing so can be easily overlooked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the fans should come on when the a/c is on correct? and it doesnt. how is a cap going to fix that?

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Usually the AC only turns on the cooling fans once the coolant has reached a certain temp. But if the cap has failed its lowering the boiling point of the coolant causing it to boil then the sensor gets a poor reading thinking the coolant is colder then it actually is.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

according to the service maual, the fans should turn on as soon as the a/c is in the on position. the owner of the car told me that just out a new cap on it just last week. so, i guess that elimanates the cap.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
They could still be seperate problems........The only way they could be related is if the PCM has failed. Otherwise the cap could be causing it not to turn on with correct temp and ac pressure switch could be causing problem with fans not turning on with AC.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
You can check resistance or ECT sensor to see if its reading correctly or not to determine if problem is cap or pcm. If no ohm meter it can be connected to a high end scantool to see if ect is reading correctly.