Tom N.
Tom N., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified 31 years experience multiple car lines. I want to assist you!
7314103

What is the proper coolant system refill/bleeding procedure for a 92 Lumina car with 3.1 e

What is the proper coolant system refill/bleeding procedure for a 92 Lumina car with 3.1 engine.Nothing in owners or chiltons manuals. thanks

Tom N. :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this are you available to chat at this time ?

Customer:

Yes I am. My name is Brian

Tom N. :

Hi Brian, Remove radiator cap when the engine is COOL.. Add some coolant, start the engine allow to warm up to normal operating temp. Start adding coolant and be patient, this can take up to an hour sometimes to get the stupid air pockets out. Ask me how I know!! Allow the engine to keep running with the heater on full until your sure that no more a/f will go into the system. Place the radiator cap back on and this should do the trick for you.

Customer:

Well we did that and the radiator was holding level and could see in the neck some flow when the thermostat was open but once the cap was put on and drove, when we got back the hose from the thermostat to the radiator was starting to swell and when the radiator was cool enough to take the cap off, that side was empty and sucking from the reservoir.

Tom N. :

Did the engine over heat?

Tom N. :

Still there?

Customer:

Before we did this the temp lite came occasionally but no hose bursts or anything like that.

Customer:

Now no temp lite but stil having the sweling hose/cold cap questions.

Tom N. :

if you take the radiator cap off when cool and crank the engine wil coolant act like it is pressurized and spill out of the radiator?

Customer:

as soon as the engine starts, yes it will start flowing out of the radiator.

Tom N. :

Got it, sorry to say this sounds as if you have a possible head gasket leak and the compression from the pistons in the cylinders is escaping into the coolant jackets causing the excesive pressurazation of the cooling system.

Customer:

Is your thought due to the way the fluid flows as soon as it starts or other reasons?

Tom N. :

Have seen this in the past several times, yes due to the way the fluid flows, one last thing you may try is s new hose, it may have broken donn internaly.

Customer:

I was planning on replacing it but wouldn't there be signs in the oil (Higher level and/or whiteness/creamy look) if there was a head gasket leak? There are none of these signs that I've had with other head gasket leaks.

Tom N. :

Not necessarly, head gaskets can leak into the combustion chamber and the rings will keep it from going down into the oil. you are correct about the oil and the level though. Any white smoke ?

Customer:

Hard to tell the days that we've worked on it outside the temps in Michigan were about 40-50 degrees, but the exhaust smell normal no oily or anti freeze smell or mist.

Customer:

Didn't seem to have "too much" exhaust.

Tom N. :

One last bit of advice then I have to go, some of the auto parts stores sell a test kit that you can check the a/f for carbonmonixide , it a simple test and the kit is cheep this would confirm that you have exhaust leakage into the coolant. then you would no for sure.

Tom N. :

Hope this helps. please click on the ACCEPT button if I have answered all your questions. Please ask if you need more assistance Bonus is always appreciated . I will post positive feed back for you, please do the same for me.

Thanks and God bless.

Tom

Customer:

Ok thanks I'll try that.

Tom N. :

Great best of luck with it!!! Please dont forget to click on the accept ,

Tom N. :

thanks, Tom