Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The glo plug relay for my 2002 Duramax none cailfornia

Customer Question
Can you tell me where...
Can you tell me where and how to change the glo plug relay for my 2002 Duramax none cailfornia?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/5/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER replied 6 years ago
Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
The glow plug relay is located on the back of the engine near the firewall on the drivers side of the engine. Its held on with 2 bolts and has a few wire connectors going to it. Its best to remove both battery neg cables before replacing this relay. One of the wires going to the relay is always hot and can short out if the battery is connected.

I am not sure if it is the relay or the glow plugs? Do you picture of the relay and also the price? Thank you

The glow plug relay runs around $160. Its shown below, its the square box.

What is the problem that you have?

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

The problem I have is the service engine light. Code p0380

How many miles on the truck?

Do you know if it has California emissions?

120000 no california truck

Inside of the glove box is a silver label with some codes on it. Check and see if it has one of these codes. This can make on how the truck is fixed.

yf5 ne1 or vcl

what do those tell us? if it has smog pump or erg?
There are 2 kinds of glow plug relays and wiring, this will tell me which one you have.
did not see any of those

There is a large red wire going to the glow plug relay, make sure this wire has power to it all the time. Its best to use a test lamp. If there is power then check at the wires going to the glow plugs, this is a large wire as well and should be blue. Have some one turn the key on and this wire should have power for a second or two. If there is no power, then the relay is bad.

Object Number: 775449  Size: FS

im not really able to follow the wiring. it is not my strong suit
Thats OK, just check the wires if you can. Large red wire should be hot all the time, you can check at the glow plugs and see if they get power when the key is first turned on. They should get power for a second or 2. Use a test light, one side connected to engine ground.
ok what is the part number? and are glow plugs under valve covers?

I do not have a part number, this part should be looked up at the dealership with your VIN number to ensure you get the correct part.

The glow plugs are located just below (not under) the valve covers. You will see a large metal strip along the bottom area of the valve covers. This metal strip connects to the glow plugs. There is one for each cylinder.

what do you mean by metal strip under valve cover?

Its not under the valve covers, but below them just above the exhaust manifold. The glow plugs are connected to each other with a long metal strip instead of a wire.

how much dealer charge to replace glow plugs and relay?

The glow plugs will not set a p0380 unless your truck has the codes I asked you to check before. The only parts on this truck that will set the p0380 is the relay, engine computer or a bad wire somewhere. The dealer will charge around $300 parts and labor.
ok thank you for your help. so my best bet would be to replace the relay?
Yes, I have had this issue a few times and each time it was the relay.
ok thank you for the help
Glad to help.
Michael Moore
Michael Moore
Michael Moore