Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Chevrolet Trailblazer Where is the ac actuator located on

Customer Question

Where is the ac actuator located on a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer? I;ve tried taking off the dashboard but I still can't see it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

Is this an automatic climate control system or manual temperature control?

Is this a dual system, meaning... does it have a driver AND passenger side temperature controls?

Your vehicle has more than one actuator. Which actuator are you searching for?

The Heat/Cool (blend actuator). If with dual temperature control are you looking for the driver or passenger side?

The inside/outside air (recirculation actuator).

The Defrost/vent/floor (mode actuator).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has driver and passenger controls. I'm looking for the blend actuator.

Is this an automatic climate control or manual climate control? Meaning, do you set the temperature to a numbered temperature setting or do you simply have hotter or colder?

Are you looking for the passanger side or driver's side actuator?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has automatic control and I'm looking for the driver's side actuator.

Excellent. Thank you. There are MANY diagrams and all are different from manual systems, automatic systems, single automatic systems, and dual automatic systems.

GM calls this the left air temperature actuator shown as #1 in the following picture.

graphic

Another more detailed view the left air temperature actuator is #5 in the following diagram.

graphic

One more view shows the right and left temperature actuator. #1 is right and #2 is left.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I access the actuators? How extensive is the dashboard removal? Do I have to take the steering column off??

You do not have to remove the whole dashboard. You do have to remove the instrument panel carrier. A tight spot, tight place, and cramped but can be done without removing the entire dash.

Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
Remove the left closeout/insulator panel.
Remove the knee bolster trim panel.
Remove the screws retaining the bezel to the instrument panel.
Remove the bezel from the instrument panel.
If equipped, remove the transfer case shift control switch.
Remove the rear wiper washer switch.
If equipped, remove the cigar lighter or 12-volt power supply outlets.
Remove the bezel from the vehicle.

graphic

Remove the left closeout insulator panel.
Remove the knee bolster trim panel.
Remove the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bezel, Chevrolet only.
Remove the instrument panel (IP) accessory trim plate, GMC or Oldsmobile only.
Remove the screws retaining the IPC to the IP.
Partially remove the IPC from the IP in order to gain access to the electrical connector.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the IPC.
Remove the IPC from the IP.
graphic

• Remove the air temperature actuator-left (1) retaining screws.
  • Disconnect the air temperature actuator-left electrical connector.
  • Remove the air temperature actuator-left
  •  

graphic

Recalibrate the actuators by removing the HVAC fuse for 2 minutes. Start the vehicle and turn on the HVAC unit. DO NOT TOUCH the controls for 2 minutes while the actuators are calibrating.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Will that also give me access to the other ac actuators if I discover it's not the air temp actuator that's bad?
    This will only access the defrost, mode, and driver's temperature actuators. But, like I said... it's a tight fit.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Hi. I finally accessed the unit and I removed the electrical connection and the 2 mounting screws but it still won't come out. It seems to still be attached somehow.

There are 3 mounting screws. You missed one. That third one is really fun to get to.

Here is a picture of the actuator so you know where the mounting screws are.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I removed the 2 side screws (hex head metal). What the heck is that 3rd (bottom) screw? It looks like a small plastic push pin or something similar.

The small plastic pin you are looking at is what holds the actuator together not what holds it to the heater box. Get a BRIGHT light and look in there with a small mirror to find the bottom screw. I highlighted the 3 screws in red on the following picture for you. Open the picture and save it to your computer. Then zoom in to get a better look if that kelps. That 3rd screw is in there, I promise you that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    It's me again - the actuator guy. Finally got all the screws off but the unit won't come off - seems frozen to the cam shaft. (Probably why it wasn't working) Any suggestions?
    The actuator should come off with little force. Sometimes they need a little wiggle but not much. Once the three bolts are removed, the actuator usually falls right out. But, try gently prying it while wiggling it off.