Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1998 Chevy Astro: I have no power to my electric mirror switch

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Chevy...
I have a 1998 Chevy Astro Van. I have no power to my electric mirror switch. I have replaced the switch and checked both fuse panels. I do not have any popped fuses. What could my problem be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/17/2011
Chevy Mechanic: David H, GM master certified replied 6 years ago
David H
David H, GM master certified
Your vehicle may have had a required recall for the power mirror switch overheating.The recall was to install a fused jumper harness at the power mirror switch connector terminals G and H.
The power mirror switch was working fine. I recently removed the door panel to replace the power window motor. The motor wasn't working, so I replaced it. Now the power window go up and down, but when I plugged all the rocker switches back in and put the door panel back on...I don't have power for the mirror switch. Not sure what is going on.
The fused jumper for the recall may have come loose causing your loss of voltage Here is the recall.

Subject:03006A - Electric Outside Rearview Mirror Switch Short Circuit
Models:1997 Chevrolet Blazer, Suburban
1998 Chevrolet C/K Ext. Cab Pickup, Astro Van, Suburban
1997 GMC Jimmy, Suburban
1998 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab Pickup, Safari Van, Suburban
Equipped with Electric Outside Rearview Mirrors

This bulletin cancels and replaces bulletin 03006 issued April, 2003. The service procedure has been revised. Destroy all copies of Bulletin 03006.

Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1997 Chevrolet Blazer and Suburban; GMC Jimmy and Suburban; 1998 Chevrolet C/K Extended Cab Pickup, Astro Van, and Suburban; and GMC Sierra Extended Cab Pickup, Safari Van, and Suburban vehicles equipped with electric outside rearview mirrors. Under certain conditions, some of these vehicles may develop a short circuit in the electric outside rearview mirror switch. If this were to happen, it could result in an inoperative switch, heat damage to the driver's door and/or ignition of components in the driver's door and a subsequent vehicle fire without prior warning.

Correction

Dealers are to install a fused jumper harness to the electric outside rearview mirror switch.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 1997 Chevrolet Blazer and Suburban; GMC Jimmy and Suburban; 1998 Chevrolet C/K Extended Cab Pickup, Astro Van, and Suburban; and GMC Sierra Extended Cab Pickup, Safari Van, and Suburban vehicles equipped with electric outside rearview mirrors and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

1997

Chevrolet

Blazer

VK100001

VK250286

1997

Chevrolet

Suburban

VG100001

VG195563

1998

Chevrolet

Suburban

WG100020

WG151246

WJ300002

WJ379768

1998

Chevrolet

C/K Pickup

W1100001

W1282148

1998

Chevrolet

Astro

WB100001

WB214161

1997

GMC

Jimmy

VK500001

VK522300

1997

GMC

Suburban

VG500002

VG528445

1998

GMC

Suburban

WG500006

WG516118

WJ700004

WJ736620

1998

GMC

Sierra

W1500001

W1563342

1998

GMC

Safari

WB500001

WB543258

Important: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) or GM Access Screen (Canada only) or DCS Screen 445 (IPC only) before beginning recall repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the recall bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow-up with customers involved in this recall. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the recall bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information

Parts Pre-Ship Information - For US and Canada

Important: An initial supply of parts required to complete this program will be pre-shipped to involved dealers of record. This pre-shipment is scheduled to begin the week of April 14, 2003. Pre-shipped parts will be charged to dealer's open parts account.

Additional parts, if required, are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO=Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO=Customer Special Order.

Part Number

Description

Qty

15104166

Harness Kit, O/S RR View Mir Body Wrg

1

Service Procedure

Important: The following REVISED procedure provides instructions for installin an in-line fuse wiring harness at the exterior power mirror switch located in the left front (driver's) door. This revised procedure does not require the disconnecting and reconnecting of the negative battery cable that was included in the original procedure.

Notice: The steps in the following procedure must be followed in the exact order that they are written. Failure to perform these steps in the order written may result in damage to the fusing circuits contained in the recall harness being installed.

1. Open the driver's door and verify that the exterior power mirrors function properly.
  2. If either or both mirrors do not function properly, refer to the appropriate Service Manual for the diagnosis and repair BEFORE proceeding. If the problem is related to the power mirror switch and/or related wiring, the repair should be handled as a goodwill adjustment with Area Service Manager authorization, if required. If the problem is related to the motors in the exterior power mirror assemblies, the cost of the repair is the customer's responsibility.
  3. Remove the panel (bezel) that holds the power mirror switch. Refer to the Doors subsection in the Body and Accessories section of the appropriate Service Manual if additional information is needed.
  4. On C/K and S/T model vehicles, using a flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the bezel up from the door trim panel.
    On M/L model vehicles, carefully remove the screw covers on the assist handle. Remove the assist handle screws and the screw attaching the front corner of the bezel to the door trim panel. Carefully pull the bezel away from the door trim panel.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the power mirror switch (1) and remove the terminal position assurance (TPA).

6. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH

7. Using GM 12094429 (electrical terminal release tool) contained in J 38125-B (Terminal Repair Kit), remove the terminal and orange wire from cavity "H" (1) of the harness electrical connector. The letter "H" can be found on the harness connector.

8. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH

9. Take the terminal and orange wire removed from the harness electrical connector and insert it into cavity "A" of the two cavity loose connector provided in the recall kit. The letter "A" can be found on the connector.

10. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH

11. Using GM 12094429, remove the terminal and brown wire from cavity "G" (1) of the harness electrical connector. The letter "G" can be found on the harness connector.

12. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH

13. Take the terminal and brown wire (1) removed from the harness electrical connector and insert it into cavity "B" of the two cavity connector. The letter "B" can be found on the connector.
  14. Verify that both terminals are locked in the connector by LIGHTLY pulling on the wires.

15. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MH

16. Insert the gray terminal position assurance (1) included in the recall kit into the end of the connector where the two wires stick out. When properly installed, a "click" type sound will be heard.

17. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

Notice: To avoid damaging the fusing circuit contained in the recall harness, DO NOT connect the two cavity connector that you just assembled, to the recall harness two cavity connector UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO later in thsi procedrue.

Important: The two wires must be installed in the correct cavities of the connector in the next step. The cavities can be identified by a small letter (G & H) located on the connector.

18. Take the two wires and terminals located on the end of the recall fused wiring harness and insert them in the two cavities in the electrical connector that was disconnected from the power mirror switch.
  19. Insert the BROWN wire and terminal (2) into cavity "G".
    Insert the ORANGE wire and terminal (1) into cavity "H".
  20. Verify that both of the terminals are locked in the connector by LIGHTLY pulling on the two wires. Then install the TPA.

21. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

22. Take the new two-cavity connector (1) that you just installed the two wires into in Steps 6 and 8, and plug it into the recall fused wiring harness two-cavity connector (2). When properly installed, a "click" type sound will be heard.

23. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

24. Connect the harness connector to the power mirror switch. When connected, the completed assembly should appear as shown.
  25. Important: If the power mirrors do not operate in the next step, turn the headlamps to the ON position and retry the power mirrors. If the mirrors operate with the headlamps ON, but do not operate with the headlamps OFF, you have installed the wires incorrectly (crisscrossed) in a connector.

26. Verify that the power mirrors operate correctly.

27. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

28. To prevent rattles, wrap the fused wiring harness as shown with foam tape (1) included in the recall kit.
  29. Reinstall the bezel in the door trim panel.
  30. On M/L vans, tighten the screw to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

31. Install the GM Recall Identification Label.
Object Number: 500019  Size: FS
Okay...We found the power to the rocker switch has a small circuit board. Is that the fusable circuit because I have two green resistor looking things. One is open on the orange power side and on the brown negative it is straight through. Can I cut out the circuit board and just connect the wires together?
Yes you can but you run the risk of the switch overheating and catching fire.If you have replaced the power mirror switch you should be ok.
Would it be better to replace the bad green resistor looking thing. It would be easy to remove and install a new one. I can take it to a electrical store and buy the green resistor looking thing. Are they diodes or are they the fuses.
You can just purchase the original harness and replace.Here is the part#

15104166

Harness Kit, O/S RR View Mir Body Wrg

David H
David H, GM master certified
David H
David H
David H, GM master certified