Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I HAD MY KEY LOCK AND IGNITION WIRE CHANGED. THE SECURITY

Customer Question
LIGHT STAYS ON AND THE...
I HAD MY KEY LOCK AND IGNITION WIRE CHANGED. THE SECURITY LIGHT STAYS ON AND THE TRUCK WONT START.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/8/2011
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 6 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Turn the key on, with the engine OFF.Try to start the engine, then release the key to ON, Engine will not start. Watch the security telltale, after about 10 mins, it will turn OFF.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Start the engine .

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

i have tried that but the light doesn't go off. what else if possible that i can do?

Does it flash when you do try to start?
it does
Does it stop flashing after 10 mins, and did it operate properly prior to replacing the parts?
i had that problem before and the 10 mins worked well, but then it wouldn't work after i have been trying that for months. i finally bought the parts and installed them and it won't start since
ok was this the whole lock cylinder and housing?
the whole lock cylinder with keys
Ok, did the new cylinder have a magnet on it?

no

Then you were sold the wrong cylinder. With out the key, the passlock sensor is not triggered and security remains operational preventing the engine from starting.

so i should get on with a small magnet at the side?

it must have the magent on the side of the cylinder.
ok then i'll get it now
ok
no of the stores don't have the small magnet at the side. the original lock cyclinder had one but it was already damaged, i just installed the small clip. itst here a way i can fit a small piece of magnet in that slot?
The strenght of the magnet may not be correct and it may not activate the security sensor as it rotates but I you can try to take the old magent out and attach it with a spot of glue.
well thats the point its damaged , think it was dry rot. so it crumbled when trying to remove it.now i need an alternative
Ok, you may need to get one from a dealer. It can be keyed to the cut in your truck so you can have the same key.

thanks for your help i just have to spent more money then

As you can see, you get what you pay for. There is an alternative, do you have access to a resistor that is 2200 ohms?
i could buy one at radio shack
Get one, cut the yellow wire in the group of 3 wires, red, orange black and yellow. Attach the yellow on the body side of the cut to one end of the resistor and the other end to the orange black. Do the relearn and you just bypassed the passlock cylinder itself.
what do you mean by relearn?

Start the engine .

so the other end of yellow wire from the ignition switch will just be left without been connected?

correct.

one more thing how can i know that the resistor is 2200 ohms, do they have it written on them?

They go by the colour of the bands.
It will have 3 red bands and then a silver or gold band.

i have tried the resistor, the light didn't go off. do i have to completely cut off the yellow black also or just add the resistor to it?

The yellow to the ignition housing must be cut or it will not work.

i did that already and connect the body wire to the resistor, then connected the other end of resistor to yellow and black wire. must i completely cut the yellow and blk wire also?

Dnt you mean orange black wire and the solid yellow?
i cut the yellow wire already, but don't i have to connect the resistor to the orange black wire? do i have to completely cut that wire also(orange blk) or just connect the resistor to it?
You dont need to cut the orange black, but you can.

i did light still didn't go off and won't start

The relearn takes 30 mins I a, not sure how you can be done by now, and are you trying to start then releasing the key back to run and then starting the timer?
i did that once and i had it on the relearn for 45 mins. i just cut the orange blk wire. so its still on relearn
Ok, that is correct. Wait the 10 mins, then turn it off and do the second round of the relearn.

still didn't work. so i give up seems there is no way that could work

Ok the problem is somewhere else then, possibly the BCM.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician