GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2003 Monte Carlo: Hi, my car died on me..First the battery light came

Customer Question

2003 Monte Carlo 3800. Hi, my car died on me while I was driving. First the battery light came on but I was still driving. Then, the car started to loose power on take off from a red light. After that all of my dash lights,heat,radio died but the car was still running. Ten minutes later the car went dead. the battery was drained. The wire (the bolt) on the alternator was was broken off there for the wire was not connected. So I changed the alternator. I picked up a rebuilt one, fired up the car and everything was fine. However, there was loss of power slightly as the transmission changed gears it was fan noise but the car was moving along just fine. The next day, I then got stuck in the snow, as i was peeling out of the snow racing the engine, the battery light comes back on and the whole process i explained before starts again. I took the alternator back, had it tested, and it was dead. Then I put a new used alternator on with a new battery. The car is now completely dead. I have no head lights no dome, radio, dash, nothing. The only thing that was on was the check engine light and gas mileage lights on the ceiling. I have no idea what happened. Please help! Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Very strange. Is there any obvious shorts in the charging whre?

GM Tech (Cam) :

wire?

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

Not that I know of

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, what is the voltage of the battery now with a meter?

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

The battery is new never used

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sir that does not answer my question.

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

i dont know the voltage

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, we need to know. Even though the battery is new, it may be faulty so we need to make sure it is gook

GM Tech (Cam) :

.good, sorry.

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

i tried to jump the car before the new battery and alternator and the car was doing the same thing, nothing. If that helps

GM Tech (Cam) :

It does not. If that battery is shorted internally, boosting will not work.

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

The new battery was tested. That was the old battery I tried to jump, I then put in the new one, nothing

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

How can I find the voltage with no meter

GM Tech (Cam) :

You cannot.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If you are sure the battery is good then you need to start checking all the wiring and connectors to the fuse blocks and engine block.

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

I don't know much about cars, im a musician. Do you, being a tech think thats it the fuse blocks. If so where do I start?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I think, based on what you have said so far, that there is a bad connection or major short somewhere. For it to melt the stud off the alternator, that is about all it can be and that would cause the new battery to seem dead too.

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

I see

JACUSTOMER-axais2lt- :

I have heard that today from the guy that sold me the alternator. What do I do next. That sounds pretty expensive.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Next you need to check or have the wiring checked from one end of the battery cables to the other to find the short