Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 malibu: sometimes shift hard..had oil pressure swich code once

Customer Question
2000 malibu transmission sometimes shift...
2000 malibu transmission sometimes shift hard at 1-2 when hot. fluidhas been changed. had oil pressure swich code once
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/10/2011
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman replied 6 years ago
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Hi, A common problem that may be causing your condition is dirt inside the trans which intermittently causes some of the valves to "stick". When this happens the computer commands the trans to have full line pressure, which is causing the hard shift. When the debri flows out of the valves, it returns to normal. A fluid change usually will not help, because you havent drained anything from the valve body itself. The fix is to either, remove the valve body, disasseble and clean it, or replace the entire valve body, which could get pricey. The part alone is about 500.00 plus labor of a couple hours. Another option is to replace the transmission assembly. It all depends on if you are keeping the car for a while and how much you want to spend on it. Wish i had a simple fix for you, but this has been a problem for GM for a few years. Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept if this has helped. Thanks, Eric
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman